How much can I control with 1amp/4amp eLink?

garrettendi

Flyer, as you are using eLink with RM. There is a feature that I have never seen documented in Hornby guides relating to resetting the eLink communications when they fail for some reason, such as a short for example.

Forum user RAF96 (Rob) is the person who originally posted about it. Apparently, in the big red stop button located bottom right of the RM screen there is a barely visible square box within it. This box may only become visible when it is active, I'm not sure as I have never seen it myself with my Elite controller. Anyway, when this box is visible, clicking it performs a controller communications reset and should get your eLink back communicating again.

Rob, maybe it's time to submit your tip (if you haven't already) to Adam for inclusion in the locked sticky.

Flyer, just for the purpose of providing improved readability for users I would just like to reiterate what John said in his post. Using the Blue 'Quote button has its uses, but should be used when it is imperative to quote a previous post. Most of the time it is not. If you do use the Blue 'Quote' button, then do not place your cursor in the quoted text. Scroll the quote box down and place your cursor at the very bottom of the text box. This should result in your added text being 'black on white' and more readily readable.

Better still, do not use the Blue 'Quote' button at all, but put your reply text in the great big empty reply text box at the bottom of the page and use the Green 'Reply' button. As this reply post has done.

Chriss, what about Smartswitch. have you come across it. john

If it is the product I'm thinking of, then I am aware of it, but no experience of using it. Smartswitch......do you mean the points control system developed by Peco?

Flyer, an example where use of terminology leads us contributors off at a tangent and down the garden path.

You used the phrase "loss of power after an incident" plus mentioning the Booster in the same post led us / me to believe that your question related to DCC volts and amps (Power).

If you had used the phrase "loss of eLink communication after an incident" then the tip about the hidden reset button would have been in my very first reply.

A note for all potential posters......when we only have the original text as written to base a reply on, then this shows the importance of being detailed in the originally submitted text, as much information as possible.

@Chris

Rob, maybe it's time to submit your tip (if you haven't already) to Adam for inclusion in the locked sticky.

Just as easy to show this:

/media/tinymce_upload/2273ca669c9966df65286b8aa58bc4e7.png

No Rob, I have never seen that in my standard RM and single Elite combo. Maybe it needs to have an eLink configured as at least one of the controllers for it to be activated. But thank you for posting the image, at least I now know what to describe in any future posts I make.

Hi all - thanks for your comments yesterday - first my apologies for not responding earlier, but as a newbie, I was of course (and rightly so) locked out for 24 hours after three posts !  I am pleased to see such controls in place.

Also, my apologies for my 'untidy' posting - not that experienced in forum usage, and I take on board your comments Chrissaf about being more accurate with the information given.  As an ex-accountant I should have known better, having spent many occasions berating staff for inadequate detail with their work !

Thanks for the tip about 'Reset' - I tried it yesterday, having created a loco failure, and when nothing would move afterwards, the reset button did what it says on the label !  And I hadn't seen it anywhere in the documentation although I believe it is used when upgrading.

With regard to the Smartswitch (PLS-100), thanks John for your warning, but it is actually listed as a preset decoder in the Railmaster software under Accessory Decoders, but you do need the addition of the 'PLS-135 SmartSwitch Stationary Decoder for use with PLS-100 for DCC control', so I'm hoping it will work perfectly !  Due to arrive today, so when I've tested it, I'll post the results

Also, my apologies for my 'untidy' posting - not that experienced in forum usage, and I take on board your comments Chrissaf about being more accurate with the information given.

No apologies necessary, no criticism was intended. Comments were intended to serve to shorten your learning curve and make it easier for us to help you.... 😀

Others here have used the Peco Smartswitch system successfully with RM in association with the Peco PLS-135 decoder. It took users a while to figure out how to program the PLS-135 correctly with RM. I believe there were a few quirks to the process and a lot of head scratching. But from memory I'm sure there is a post on here somewhere providing 'step by step' guidance. Try using the forum search function for "PLS-135" without the " " of course.

PS - The forum search function works best if you only give it single words to search on. It doesn't seem to be able to handle phrases unless the phrase is an exact match.

Flyer, reading back through some earlier posts. I noticed that you mentioned R8247 for controlling signals. You might want to do some research regarding TrainTech signals. They might seem a bit pricey but they have integrated decoders so compare favorably if you take the whole package costs into consideration, as you save the costs of the R8247s.

There is support for basic 2 aspect TT signals built into the standard RM edition and full support for 3 / 4 aspect TT signals in the RM ProPack edition. There are two users on here PJ and Ray who have been directly involved with HRMS (Hornby RailMaster Support) in ironing out the bugs. PJ & Ray are very experienced in working with these products and can give guidance

Archived