Master of the Glens Set, Cock of the North - DCC Ready

Paulyd333

hi there,

I have just bought the Master of the Glens set, where the Cock of the North locomotive is DCC ready. Can someone please tell me whether that model is able to be fitted with decoder(s) to enable TTS sound? Also, which Hornby decoder(s) do I need?

I already have Railmaster etc from previous purchase of the Majestic set.

thank you in advance :)

Hi Pauly, welcome to the forums.

The current answer is no as you cannot purchase TTS decoders as separate items, only in locos.  Even if you could buy one (they are sometimes available on eBay from those who remove them from TTS locos), you would have a deal of mods to do to mount the decoder and the speaker in the tender and run pickup wiring to the tender from the loco.  Not impossible for someone with the skills to do so.

Hi Pauly, welcome to the forums.

The current answer is no as you cannot purchase TTS decoders as separate items, only in locos.  Even if you could buy one (they are sometimes available on eBay from those who remove them from TTS locos), you would have a deal of mods to do to mount the decoder and the speaker in the tender and run pickup wiring to the tender from the loco.  Not impossible for someone with the skills to do so.

Thank you very much for that Fishmanoz. Guess I'll just have to bide my time on TTS. As far as obtaining a decoder, I was thinking the Sapphire rather than the stock standard - would that be the best way to go? 

If your C ot N has its decoder tender mounted then it will be a fairly simple job to install a speaker there as well as the chassis is likely to have the necessary features such as outlet holes, etc.

if decoder is loco mounted then it will mean running extra wires between loco and tender for the speaker.

you would have to call up the loco service sheet to see what is fitted where on your model.

as Fishy says TTS decoders cannot be purchased new yet from Hornby, only on eBay from people who may have stripped them from TTS locos or obtained them by nefarious means. The first ever TTS decoder sold on eBay (coincidentally a C ot N) went for over 50 gbp.

If you are going to go to all that trouble to fit a sound decoder, you may as well do the job properly, and get a 'real' one. Agreed you are looking at circa £100 for the decoder, but as the TTS one is not generally available as a separate item anyway - - - -

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paulyd333,  Did you pursue your idea to fit TTS sound to your c of the north. ,browsing eBay I came across a c of the north TTS decoder and speaker @ £66.99,you may find that your tender is sound prepared and could be a easy and cheap'ish entry into sound ,,,mjb

Archived