R8239 Power & Signal Booster

Aussie220

Hi Aussie220, welcome to the forums.

E Rail?  Do you mean eLink and RM.

Anyway, go to the Downloads section of this Hornby site, then DCC Downloads and download the manual for the booster.  It shows you the 3 ways to connect from your existing controller to the booster on a completely isolated section of your layout.  The simplest is to just connect the input for the booster to your DCC track and the output to your isolated section of track.

And also my standard advice on these - until your layout takes up both car spaces in your double garage, you don't need a booster.

Also, if you do a forum search on booster, I think you will find connection diagrams for all 3 methods from I think Chrissaf.

I don't think it was me Fishy, I have no recollection of ever posting any 'Booster' connection drawings. I keep a copy of all my forum drawings. Looking through them, the nearest I could find was a drawing showing different ways of connecting a 'walkabout'.

Chris (Chrissaf).

EDIT: Aussie220, like Fishy, I can't find any web references to 'E Rail'. If you do mean eLink or Elite, then as Hornby DCC controller products they will be compatible with other Hornby DCC products such as R8239. The Elite has a specific R8239 Booster port on the controller. The eLink doesn't, but should work with the R8239 track connector method shown in its manual. In fact, the R8239 should, in theory, be compatible with any NMRA compliant controller. Follow Fishy's advice.

Here is a clickable link directly to the R8239 manual (PDF file downloads in the background to your nominated PC download folder)

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/148

Thanks Chris.  Even if it's not Chris and diagrams, there is certainly other discussion on the 3 booster connection methods but, no matter, you have the entire story in here now.

The booster is very simple to set up with any NMRA compatible controller as Chris says, but it's also hardly ever needed except on really big layouts.  One advantage not mentioned yet is that there is a benefit to setting up your layout as 2 separate zones (as needed to run a booster) and that is that a short anywhere will only take out one zone leaving the other operating.  Not a good enough reason for the expense and complication though, IMHO.

And one final benefit - a booster is also an RLM so can be used instead of an RLM on a layout with a reversing loop where more power might also be an advantage.

Archived