Elite issue

Grumps123

My elite is the V1.3 model. I today attempted to upgrade it using the Hornby firmware update software.

I downloaded the software but at the end I got a message on the PC saying that the update had failed.

I tried again and got the same message.

I then thought what the hell and turned on the elite again and have a blank screen (on the elite) and a green flashing light which when you leave  it goes off.

When setting up for download you press stop and then add the usb lead and then connect to the PC. I tried, when I had the above to press stop and this resulted in the green light staying on and not flashing. However, I still can't get the screen or the elite to work.

The only thing I can think of is that it is stuck in a download loop. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could get it working again?

Your Elite is now what we who have been there call 'bricked'.

it is as you say stuck in the download (update) loop, but can be fixed.

Keep trying making sure you observe the correct sequence of events and the time intervals, using if possible an XP or Win7 machine to do it.

Hi Grumps, welcome to the forum and be aware that your Elite is not lost forever, it is fixable.

RAF has mention versions XP and 7 of Windows, what version do you have on the machine you are trying with?  We know the upgrade hasn't worked with 8 and 8.1 and success with 10 has been mixed to say the least.

Youve mentioned following the connection and startup sequence as per the instructions, it is most important this be done exactly as in the instructions to get the Elite into upgrade mode.  You haven't mentioned about ensuring your are using the correct com port though.  Having installed the Elite driver (only needs to be done once), you do need to use Device Manager to check the port number and ensure it is connected to an otherwise unused port with a number less than 5.  Change it to 4 or below if necessary in Device Manager then ensure that port is used in the update software.  If you've shut down Windows, it's worth checking it hasn't changed the port number when you start it again too.

Having done all of that, it should just work although often not the first time, except not using Windows 8 or 8.1.  Let us know how you are going now.

Archived