Programming a R8247 Points Decoder

peter_goddard

I am having problems programming a R8247 Points Decoder. I am trying to programme it with number 51 as I have 40 signals operating on the layout.  I am using the Elite to programme but after numerous attempts I am having no luck.  When I do the final step of the programming the red light flashes 6 times. I plugged into the main track but it doesnot work.  When I do a read of CV 515 it shows it is programmed 225 which is impossible. Can anybody help please?

This may or may not be a solution to your issue.

When using the Elite to program the R8247, you are expected to set the address for port 1 of the decoder in multiples of 4.

1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16..............49-52, thus 51 would be port 3 and not port 1. You only configure the port 1 of the decoder (as per the numbers in bold above) and the other three decoder ports get their address automatically from that. Thus if you program the R8247 as port 49 then 51 will become port 3 on that decoder. Trying to set port one as 51 may possibly be what is causing the error.

Just realised that my post above relates to someone with an Elite but programming it via RailMaster. If you are programming it using the Elite buttons and knobs then you need to program it using a 'Group Address'. See page 58/59 of the Elite user manual. If you are using 'Group Address' 51 then that equates to port addresses 201 to 204. Port addresses 49 to 52 is 'Group Address' 13 ------ see the manual pages 58 and 59 for details.

Ooops sorry. Re-read the manual again. The 'Group Address' is what is read back when reading the decoder. When programming it you use the 'Actual' address e.g 49.

So if programmed as 49 then read back will be group 13.........all very confusing which is why I use RailMaster to program things via my Elite.

If the Edit button had been working, I could have re-worked the original reply saving these multiple posts (I have posted the Edit button issue in the feedback thread).

You might not be far wrong there Poliss, could it be the clocks changing that caused the EDIT option button to disappear. E.g as soon as you hit the 'save' button the 10 minute Edit timer thinks an hour has passed.......worth a thought.

Hi Peter. When you create a new thread/topic you need to give it a title such as in your case 'Programming a Points Decoder' or what ever otherwise it just puts your name as the title which doesn't give us a clue as to what your question is about. 

Also welcome to the Forum. Lots of help available here. 

Trying to program 51 shouldn't cause an error.  According to the manual, it accepts the 51, recognises it as an address in group 13, and allocates the ports as 49-52, being the standard addresses for group 13.  So as Chris says above, 51 will be there but on port 3.

When you read the documentation, you find the addressing is a weird hybrid between individual port and group addresses.   You need to get your head around how each is used to be able to operate successfully in this area.

Just realised that my post above relates to someone with an Elite but programming it via RailMaster. If you are programming it using the Elite buttons and knobs then you need to program it using a 'Group Address'. See page 58/59 of the Elite user manual. If you are using 'Group Address' 51 then that equates to port addresses 201 to 204. Port addresses 49 to 52 is 'Group Address' 13 ------ see the manual pages 58 and 59 for details.

Archived