Converting the 'Hornby Tender Drive 2p' to DCC.

markSandD

Hi.

I recently purchased a '2p' 4-4-0, 'R2099A'.

This was an older version of the model, number '579' in LMS livery, which I beleive was released around 1999/2000?

The loco is not DCC ready, so conversion looks a little bit tricky.

However before I go to the trouble of trying to convert the loco, I am having real problems with its running:

1: It stops every few centimeters on straight track
2: it stops on every point and crossing on the layout

Is this a common problem

with this model?

The tracks are clean, and so are the locos wheels.

Hi
Only ever convert a loco that runs faultlessly on dc. If you attempt to convert a poor dc runner it will probably become far worse on DCC!

As this loco is tender drive....Check tender pick up wheel treads are clean. Check the coupling pin

and the wiper contacts on the tender to loco connection are clean and making good contact.
Ensure the Ringfield motors two carbon brushes are making good contact onto the motors Comm and that the Comm itself is clean.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply

This loco has plastic tender wheels with traction tyres on the outer 4 wheels, so there is no electric pickup on the tender at all.

The only electric pickup on this model is via the 4 'unpowered locomotive'

driving wheels.

The model is also permanantely wired between the locomotive and tender, with a drawbar assembly that is screwed into the loco and the tender.

I tested the motor by turning the loco and tender upside down and connecting a DC controller

to the unpowered loco driving wheels, the motor runs fine.

Oh dear, posted while typing and long before finished!
Anyway, I was trying to say...

I looked at the service sheet after posting the previous reply and noted it was hard wired between the loco and tender motor. Though the service sheet didn't

make it clear how many tender wheels had traction tyres, nor exactly how the four loco wheels transfer power from each wheel to the wires? Presumably by rear of wheel wiping contacts? If so, are these making continual connection onto the rear of the driving/pick-up

wheels even when the wheels are moved across the locos chassis? If necessary adjust these wipers so as they remain in contact. Also ensure any wipers inside faces and the wheel inner rims are clean and free of any fluff etc.

If all seem correct is is

one (or both) of the two interconnecting wires loco to tender internally broken or perhaps loose at one end of their connection?

I

have fixed the loco.

I found when I dismantled it, that the 'front bogie' is in 2 pieces that are screwed together, there are also 2 holes in the top piece of the bogie that look as though they are designed for wires to pass through. The lower part

of the front bogie, has small square cutouts in the side frames that are near to the rear faces of the wheels.

I dismantled a couple of those 'power connecting clips' that Hornby manufacture, and pinched the copper strips out of them, trimmed them down,

to act as 'wiper pickups'. I then soldered some thin wires to the wiper pickups, passed the wires through the 2 holes in the top of the bogie. The underframe of the loco has a slot already provided to pass wires through. I then soldered the other ends of the

2 wires onto the copper strips behind the driving wheel pickups in the bottom of the chassis.

When I tested the loco, the bogie pickups needed a bit of tweeking to allow the wheels to rotate freely. But what a difference this has made! The loco no longer

stalls or stops, and is actually a very good slow speed runner despite the tender drive.

It looks to me as though the model was designed to have electrical pickups in the 'front bogie' but for some reason my model didnt have them.

Archived