Select Firmware Q's

Paul60

I am thinking of picking up the Mixed Freight set just to get the Select controller. (Works out a better value than buying stuff seperately).

Would I be getting the latest firmware, given that the store has a good turnover and new stock.

I looked at both the Elite & the E-Link but really don't need or want the complexity or the cost.

From what I have seen on youtube, the Select with the latest firmware will do all the sounds etc.

I am not in the UK so getting it shipped back to Hornby for the 'free' firmware upgrade might no be an option.

Cheers

The Select upgrade is not free any longer Paul - it is around 15GBP according to last reports, but from overseas it would be best to contact Mark in HCC to come to an agreement.

Thanks RAF96,

Exactly what does the update improve/fix ?

I don't plan on a very elaborate layout so the Select controller (with older firmware) might just suit my needs.

Cheers

Paul :)

From what you are saying,  the firmware on select from shop should be fine. Many of us run select walkabouts from the Elite, and thus as Elite firmware is updated, so must select be. From memory, the select does not have as many sound functions as the other controllers, but again will suffice, for what you have in mind. john

I don't have a Select so cannot tell you first hand what the changes are.

You would have to download the latest manual and compare page for page with the old manual.

Not knowing what revision state your Select will be out of the shop makes it difficult to compare directly.

From background the manin changes are the number of functions you can operate (goes up from 9 to 28 depending upon revision state) and how you actually operate things like locos and points and functions.

Also the points numbering system has changed over the revisions and as John says you have to note compatibility with the various revision states of the Elite when Select is used as Walkabout which at this stage probably is of no concern to you..

Just be aware that the Select is very limited in reading and writing DCC CVs. If you opt for the Select, you will be severely restricting your options to resolve loco issues for which changing a CV is the only solution. Personally, controllers is the area I would spend a little bit more money on to support your hobby as it grows.

Thankyou Chris & John,

I will keep that all in mind.

No doubt I will need to upgrade at some stage but my needs are pretty simple.

I'm combining a simple rail layout with a diorama, come wargaming table setup.

The rail will be a static most of the time but it would be nice to have the ability to have it as functional as possible.

... you can start using your select, then as you grow, which you will, come by a s/hand Elite, and use select, as walkabout ...

That is exactly what I did and although my Select is at a very early version of Firmware, it is ideal as a Walkabout on the opposite side of my layout.  

The only disappointment for me is that I cannot use it for some of my Loco's that I have given higher numbered id's. e.g. 66 for a Class 66 and 70 for a Class 70.  I think it only accepts numbers up to 49, which is a little strange considering it has a 2 digit display and displays the numbers correctly but does not move the Loco's.

Having said that and despite my preference for having a controller that has knobs, given the fact that the e-link and Select are roughly about the same price, I would chose the e-link because of the ability to do amazing things with the included Rail Master software on a fairly low spec PC.  My view is that it is always better to have something you can grow into, rather than something that just satisfies today's requirement.  You could then add Elite later to get the best of both options.

Archived