Elite controller

gasway

@gasway............the problem is the manual states you have to use Control 1 to effect the Reset so if that is not functioning you may have to return to Hornby for a repair but would be advisable to phone Cust Service first to discuss to ensure a repair is viable......HB

HB, having performed an Elite reset.....have you remembered to check mode to ensure it is still in 'Standard' and not switched to 'Classic'?

As the unit reset didn't work we might now assume it has mechanical problems.

If it is out of warranty and you are not averse to a bit of soldering then the rotary controller is fairly easy to get at.

It should be sourceable from a good supplier such as RS Components.I think the proper name is an encoder and it obviously has 360+ turning capability with a rotary click detent for feel and a press to click function which is probably latching rather than momentary - check with a meter.

Unfortunately I can't read a number on it from the picture. I would have to take the back off mine again to see if there was an ID of some sort (Maker and PN).

You need a triangular screwdriver or an allen key to get the back off - 5 screws underneath, 4 long and 2 short screws in the back panel area.

Then the knobs pull off and once each hex nut is released you can pull the front and back apart. Each rotary controller is then free apart from unsoldering the 5 red/white  wires - see picture.

/media/tinymce_upload/fc85d42bbec1899a181dddb40120d622.JPG 

But as you appear to have function button problems as well it may well be less hastle to ask Hornby if it is fixable by them.

Gasway, you have not indicated the age of your Elite. Is it still under, or just out of warranty. There have been a couple of cases on here, when Hornby, would /could not repair, which may well have been a spare parts issue. I would suggest you ring  Mark Lodge on  01843/233/525, and discuss. He is the customer sevices manager, and you WILL, need to only talk to him. Would be a pity, if you paid postage, only to find, they dont have the bits. If mark is tied up, leave your phone number, as he  will return your call. If all else fails, then you have RAFS, possibility. john 

Does Mark really need to be involved in a simple "I want to return for repair" discussion (warranty if less than 12 months old), would have thought anyone on the end of the Customer Care/Contact Us number could handle that?  If not, we've given many people duff advice over the years.

Fishy, in the first place, you obviously have not spoken with customer care. Had you done so, you would know that everything, not straightforward,.   is referred to mark, for a decision. Given the fact that this is probably out of warranty, nobody else there , will make that decision. If you are returning a loco, etc, well within warranty, of course anyone can deal with that, but we Know, they have limited spares, as 2 people on here, were unable to be helped. You may have given duff advice before, but i try to put the poster in touch with someone, who i know has the cloat to make the decision. john

Archived