Hornby T9 Drummond dcc problem

Listerman

Today i have put a DCC hornby chip R8249 in my T9 Drummond imperial airways train pack, and found when i went to place it on the layout and program her she just took off on her own and would not respond to anything i did on the Select controller.

On closer inspection when i took the 2 screws out of the dcc socket in the tender i found underneath hornby had made a poor job of insulating the copper pick ups and one side of the socket was touching it. 

After i had made this slight modificaton ( a little more insulating tape) the loco could be programed and run perfectly

Has anyone else had this trouble of their loco just taking off when placed on track? It is a very easy fix!!

Regards Andrew

Interesting Listerman.  Shorts under the decoder socket aren't new but having one cause what is called DC Runaway is.  DC Runaway happens when the DCC track voltage is present but the decoder can't identify a proper DCC signal, thinks it must be DC, turns to DC mode then takes off flat out due to the full DCC volts being across the track at all times.

Archived