TTS Sound class 47 with express models lights

olly

has anyone fitted an express models lighting kit to the hornby TTS sound 47 ?

I'm having trouble with mine I can't get it to work properly I'm either getting very dim rear lights at one end and nothing else or it will work properly but only at one end of the locomotive .

when I use some test leads on the wires from the Lighting kit they all work properly .

It must be something to do with the 8 pin socket. I have tried another non sounnd decoder still the same 

I've fitted Express Models lights to several Diesels and they all worked as advertised out of the box, except one, an early TTS decoder where the lighting logic was reversed, but that error was fixed in later decoders. My local fix was to swap a couple of wires over at the decoder to revert the logic.

I also used a known good basic R8249 decoder to check the lighting was wired correctly, before I then replugged the TTS decoder.

If as you say the problem is there regardless of which decoder is plugged in then the problem is either the loco wiring to the socket or the way you have wired the kit as some wires need to be joined together (i.e. front whites and rear reds and vice versa), then cab lights if you want them as well as th eblue common feeder..

TTS sockets only have the 4 corner wires connected ex factory - 2 x motor and 2 x track, so you must have soldered the kit wires to the socket yourself. Recheck that you have everything wired correctly to the socket using the guide in the TTS manual and that the decoder is plugged in the right way - Pin1/Orange, else the lights won't work. It is easy to get the colours mixed working from the other side of the socket and easier still to get solder cross tracking pin to pin. Check with a magnifying glass and a meter.

I've fitted Express Models lights to several Diesels and they all worked as advertised out of the box, except one, an early TTS decoder where the lighting logic was reversed, but that error was fixed in later decoders. My local fix was to swap a couple of wires over at the decoder to revert the logic.

I also used a known good basic R8249 decoder to check the lighting was wired correctly, before I then replugged the TTS decoder.

If as you say the problem is there regardless of which decoder is plugged in then the problem is either the loco wiring to the socket or the way you have wired the kit as some wires need to be joined together (i.e. front whites and rear reds and vice versa), then cab lights if you want them as well as th eblue common feeder..

TTS sockets only have the 4 corner wires connected ex factory - 2 x motor and 2 x track, so you must have soldered the kit wires to the socket yourself. Recheck that you have everything wired correctly to the socket using the guide in the TTS manual and that the decoder is plugged in the right way - Pin1/Orange, else the lights won't work. It is easy to get the colours mixed working from the other side of the socket and easier still to get solder cross tracking pin to pin. Check with a magnifying glass and a meter.

i've tried everything with this loco .

like you say RAF94 I have checked  everything wired is correctly to the socket using the guide in the TTS manual .

can you tell me more about the Lighting logic been reversed?

think I may giveup on this loco and use the sound in a different 47

@olly

can you tell me more about the Lighting logic been reversed?

Nothing mystical about it - when the loco was selected forward as TTS the white lights were at the back and the red ones at the front. Reversed the loco direction and so did the lights. Cured  it by swapping the white and yellow wires at the decoder which was easier than trying to do it at the plug.

Why not swap the wires at the loco socket - well I wanted the loco to be wired as standard in case of a decoder failure - this is why I checked with a known good decoder - the lights were fine then, but with the TTS installed the lights were reversed relative to the direction selected.

Archived