Need some help with a decoder for a Bachmann A4 SNG

BethG

Hello, we have recently bought a Hornby digital controller for our layout and my Dad has fitted decoders to a handful of his Hornby DCC ready locos. I however have a Bachmann A4 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley in my collection which I don't think is DCC ready (correct me if I'm wrong!) that I would like to fit a decoder to, to get the most out of the controller. So my question is, do I need a Bachmann decoder and if so will that work with the Hornby controller or can I use a Hornby decoder even though it is a Bachmann model? Then could someone tell me which of the many decoders I should use?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

This site might be helpful - you say the A4 is Bachmann from your collection. Depending on its age it might have a split chassis. The Bromsgrove models site has instructions on fitting a dedoder to a split chassis A4.

bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/decoderinstallation4mm.htm 

Some general guidance about fitting decoders to non DCC Ready locos can be found here:

Fitting a decoder to a non DCC Ready loco.

In principle, fitting a decoder to a non DCC Ready loco involves modifying the wiring that goes between the wheel pickups and the motor. Removing suppression capacitors from the motor if fitted. Some skill with soldering delicate wires is needed along with having the right kind of soldering & other tools for the job in hand.

Hornby only do a minimal number of decoders. The R8249 (basic function decoder) and the R8245 (Sapphire). The R8249 is the more common and has minimal CV support. Other decoder brands give you far more functionality for the same price, but as poliss mentioned. If your controller is a Select, then best to stick to the Hornby R8249. Any other controller whether it be Elite or eLink are NMRA compliant and will support the bulk of the decoders out there. The Select is not fully compliant and full support for other branded decoders can not be guaranteed. 

Is your model this one.

Bachmann 31-954

or this one

Bachmann 31-954B

or something different

If the 31-954 then this uses a split chassis and will either be harder to modify or maybe even impossible without some significant surgery inside.

If the 31-954B, then this model is DCC Ready with an 8pin socket

Just a couple of general points - you can put any brand of decoder into any loco, as long as the decoder can handle the stall current of the loco motor (current when motor is trying to run but the loco has been stopped).  Older locos tend to draw more current than newer ones.  Also, any decoder should work with any controller, assuming they are both NMRA compliant.  But Select is not NMRA compliant so can only be guaranteed to work with Hornby decoders.

Archived