Signal

Hi all 

I'm running off RM  but are starting to think I need a signal booster, I  have about 11 meters of track and all is powered by a 4 amp transformer,  each rail has a drop link fitted so what do you think,  am I correct in my assumption

Regards 

Andrew

Are you having problems controlling locos Andel, if not then you don't need a booster for your layout size, even if your track was laid in a long straight line the signal should be ok at that distance with a bus.

If you are having problems it may be something simple degrading the signal.

Fishy has a rule of thumb theory that if the layout doesn't fill both spaces of a double garage then you don't need a booster.

No your not........

Unless you are talking about 100's of metres of track, the length of it has little or no bearing on current. True if there is any electrical resistance in the track (dirty or loose fish-plate joints for instance) then length will have a bearing as these poor quality joints introduce power losses that are accumulative. But since you have stated that your track has individual droppers, then joint resistance will not have any significant impact on your particular layout. In model railway terms, 11 metres of track is a small layout.

What makes you think that you need a signal booster?

You must be having some form of issue else you would not have made this post. Tell us your symptoms and when they happen and then appropriate advice can be given.

The number of locos running SIMULTANEOUSLY on the layout is the factor that would define if a signal booster is required. The 4 amp power supply can handle (according to Hornby) up to 10. If you only have 11 metres of track then that would equate to one train (loco with rake of rolling stock) every 1.1 metres.......hardly practicable to consider.

PS - My own layout has about 40 metres of track with a fleet of 7 sound locos. My 4 amp power supply hardly breaks into a sweat. Even with a reasonable 40 metres of track I would struggle to run more than 4 locos concurrently. I consider my layout to be small to medium and occupies a footprint of 2.4M x 1.9M.

Just spent a few minutes reviewing your previous posts. There is mention of locos stopping and starting and loosing power intermittently. DCC signals need an extremely clean electrical path. DC control on the other hand is more forgiving and can burn its way through a dirty connection.

It sounds as if you need to give the track and the loco pickup wheels a thoroughly good chemical clean (Isopropyl Alcohol for instance), supplemented with the physical clean by way of a track rubber.

If the locos stop on points, then that could be due to other factors as well as electrical cleanliness.

Are you thinking of the old Hornby Zero 1 system Chris? That needed to be completely spotless, but modern DCC should be more forgivving than DC because full power goes to the track at all times, no matter what speed the loco is going, while on DC the slower you run a loco the less power it gets.

No poliss I wasn't thinking of the Zero. Yes DCC is full track voltage, but my previous experience of DC seems to generate more arching on dirty rails, hence my comment about burning through the grime. Also, when I was referring with my comment about DC being more forgiving, I was meaning that in a DC environment a very slight intermittent break in power does not result in the potential for lost DCC data packets that you could get in a DCC layout.

I find DCC locos generally need cleaner track so that the DCC signal doesn't get interrupted.  On dc the minor interruptions in power have virtually no effect on the locos but with DCC a minor break in the power, or worse, a series of interruptions, can lead to the loco stopping dead or jerking along.  The difference has been seen many times when a loco that runs very well on dc is a poor runner once it's been converted to DCC.  A good clean of the rails, pickups and the backs of the wheels usually restores the good running previously seen before conversion and can eliminate the DCC runaway problem in many cases.

Andrew, just to be very clear - no, you aren't correct with your assumption.  When you get to eleven hundred metres of track, you'll need a booster most likely, maybe even 2, depending on your layout and how many locos you are running simultaneously. With 110 metres, you are still unlikely to need one.  With your 11 metres, even the 4 Amp supply is a waste.

Thanks guys , I'm still learning but will deffinately clean the track again but this time use the Isopropyl Alcohol, I bought some today, I'lll also clean my locos, I cleaned my Flying Scotsman and for days it ran a treat but now has started to stop and start, I've used a track rubber onm the track but evidently it's not enough

thanks again

regards

Andrew

Athe only way that would meet the 2-car garage test RDS would be if it were a single loop around the walls.

Andrew, 2-car garage test - you don't need a booster until your layout fills both car spaces.  This is my description to the many who ask on here about boosters and don't need them.

Archived