start of my layout

Paul.P

Well i said i would post up some pictures,the layout is DCC,it will have all the track packs added,A to F,and the size is 10 feet x 4 feet,and i have a well for access,all points will be run by the hornby decoders,any questions, please feel free to ask,with lots of serching the internet a/media/tinymce_upload/2468f17346d274f2cfa88b8b3455de02.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/0c0f5ffdb4389aa667dbd8328a376f98.JPGnd help from members on here,im well on my way now/media/tinymce_upload/45ce91c82a771d7fbd1a7a603555acad.JPG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i will be laying my track down next weekend,am i right that i have to programme the hornby R8247 decoder before i start pinning alll the track down? im sure people use a piece of programming track,look forward to any replys

I see in your photos that you have a Select controller. The Select does not have a separate 'Programming' track output.. The Select manual shows a switch arrangement to enable a 'programming' track piece to be switched in and out to the Select track interface as required.

You can program the R8247 at any time in the layout building process. Track laid or not, pinned or not, it doesn't matter. The R8247 just needs to be connected to the Select controller as the only connected device in order to program it.

The easier option is just to disconnect the track wires from the output of the Select and connect either a piece of loco programming track OR the R8247 itself to the track output of the Select when performing programming activities.

Just remember, with the Select, ONLY the device being programmed must be connected to it. If you inadvertently have more than one device connected at the same time during programming, then you risk the configuration of the other already configured device being adversely affected. This is why it is easier to just disconnect the track from the Select when you want to program a device, whether that be a loco or a R8247. With the track disconnected all your other locos and DCC devices can remain sitting on or connected to the track with the knowledge that they are isolated from the Select.

Once the R8247 has been configured, THEN connect it back onto the track for normal operation. If it ever has to be re-configured for any reason, then the R8247 needs to be removed from the track and reconnected to the Select as the only connected device.

many thanks Chrissaf,that answer is a very big help,thanks again,that is the way i will do it,i will  just  disconnect the track wires from the output of the Select and connect  the R8247 itself to the track output of the Select when programming

Can you reach the furthest corners of the layout? Trains always fall off there.

Do you have insulation between the rafters? Lofts can get very hot in summer and very cold in winter, which not only makes it uncomfortable for the operator, but can also cause the track to expand and contract a lot causing the track to buckle.

I see in your photos that you have a Select controller. The Select does not have a separate 'Programming' track output.. The Select manual shows a switch arrangement to enable a 'programming' track piece to be switched in and out to the Select track interface as required.

You can program the R8247 at any time in the layout building process. Track laid or not, pinned or not, it doesn't matter. The R8247 just needs to be connected to the Select controller as the only connected device in order to program it.

The easier option is just to disconnect the track wires from the output of the Select and connect either a piece of loco programming track OR the R8247 itself to the track output of the Select when performing programming activities.

Just remember, with the Select, ONLY the device being programmed must be connected to it. If you inadvertently have more than one device connected at the same time during programming, then you risk the configuration of the other already configured device being adversely affected. This is why it is easier to just disconnect the track from the Select when you want to program a device, whether that be a loco or a R8247. With the track disconnected all your other locos and DCC devices can remain sitting on or connected to the track with the knowledge that they are isolated from the Select.

Once the R8247 has been configured, THEN connect it back onto the track for normal operation. If it ever has to be re-configured for any reason, then the R8247 needs to be removed from the track and reconnected to the Select as the only connected device.

/media/tinymce_upload/bcdd5f12780974263298e19072d102bc.JPG

thanks poliss,im now 50 years old and the last time i had anything to do with model trains was when i was 8,and that was my brothers train set,i have had and still do have a 1/32 scale model farm layout in the loft,but i have pinched a 10 foot by 4 foot space,it wont be a massive layout,but by the time i have added all the track packs,i think i will have a sufficient layout which will keep me occupied

another update,all my grass mat is now layed down,still wet,hence the dark patches/media/tinymce_upload/5dcf369aea24ee52750519955a89c0e5.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/88d7c44ae91fe33c921122487e0dca27.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/87cadb9b35008766f36f1324065d4a02.JPG

more info please chaps,with my layout only being 10 feet in length i dont think having a HST train with 6 to 8 coaches would look very good,what do most people run with a train and a 10 foot long layout, 2 or 3 coaches? the reason i am asking is that with a HST and  8 coaches that would be 10 feet or just over in length,filling the whole straight of my layout

• 2 weeks later...

well i am so glad i didnt pin anything down,after some thought, even with a 10 foot by 4 foot layout i would be tail chasing,so i am going to use space from my farm layout,i will now have 14 feet by 10 feet and the boards will only be 2 foot wide,2 loops and 3 or 4  feeder tracks to the 2 loops,im sure that is not the right termonology,any way that is the plan,i dont want to run hst's with just 2 coaches and since i have the space why not use it,also slightly dissapointed with dcc for 2 reasons,finding out that decoders lose programming due to shorts,and also changing points with the select,its just to slow,you really have to have your eye on the ball,another reason why going with 2 loops,only 1 point needed there,although i know i will need points for the 3 or 4 feeder tracks,but i will place them so i can manually switch the points

the decoder i just bought poliss did lose its programmes,i do think for me this is the way to go,using hornby long straights,less connections their as well,also using the hornby track mat layout the inner tracks are not  suitable for long rakes,as i said the plan is 2 loops and 3 feeder tracks,with my set up i can only use 3 trains at once,and thats enough for me,what is the proper termonology for as i call it 3/4 feeder tracks to the 2 loops?

Archived