start of my layout

Paul.P

thankyou for the advice RAF96,but with a track tester and an electricians mutimeter test thingy,i have equal power right round the track with no power drops on the track anywhere,this might be different when i go to my final layout plan,but at the moment powerwise,everything is fine,but thankyou,your help might well serve me well later on with the layouts later life

Thats good work to date Paul, but loft layouts can suffer from wide variations of temperature even when sensibly lined out and insulated and you may find later that you see continuity problems as a result of expansion/contraction of track and movement of rail joiners.

Take that in hand as and when it raises its head though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He won't be getting any help or advice from me. As soon as he's kicked off the forum for good the better.

Saying people need a smack in the mouth and a good kicking is totally unaceptable behaviour on any forum.

He won't be getting any help or advice from me. As soon as he's kicked off the forum for good the better.

Saying people need a smack in the mouth and a good kicking is totally unaceptable behaviour on any forum.

totally agree

Latest purchase for my layout is the hornby R3350 class 90 DB schekner,it will have a dcc chip fitted,ideal, as i have found out that it is used for freight and hauling charters and coaches,i found a video on you tube of the class 90  DB schekner pulling east coast coaches,i have got some of them ,so it can be used doing various jobs on the layout,and a good price as well.I am not going to get a very detailed loco,but that is reflected in the price

Roger's revised suggestion certainly has more of a playability factor than the earlier version. One slight small suggestion. If the overal dimensions of the loops were reduced slightly, then there would be space between the track and the walls to fit some low relief scenic buildings or other scenic devices such as fences, trees etc These would give additional disguise to the base joint for any backscene that might be deployed.

• 2 weeks later...

am i being to hasty in buying cheap hornby loco's,so i have something running on my layout,the Hornby class 90 R3350 seemed to run sweet as a nut on running in,i then added a rake of 12 hornby R6760 wagons,and the wheelslip is awful,my track is all nice and level,if i got a higher priced hornby class 90 or 91 am i paying for more detail,or a better motor,or both? my hornby class 91 was not very expensive,£90.00,it pulls a rake of 7 seven coaches and a dvt and i get a bit of wheelslip with this one,but nothing like the R3350,the R3350 was only £49.00 pre dcc chip being fitted,please, any advice more than welcome

@Paul.......I don't think that the price of a new Hornby loco has any correlation with it's pulling power.........some locos have more weight in them for better traction, some have traction tyres.........it may be that Railroad spec models are lighter but then you could add extra weight yourself........also you need to be sure that every axle in the train is running freely.......HB

Paul, I think you'll find part of the reason for your poor response rate is that this is a General question which you've asked in the DCC forum, and put it on the end of a somewhat different topic.

I suggest you start a new thread in the General forum with a title like Locos with the Best Traction Power.  You'll get lots of replies to that.

Archived