Can I use a second monitor?

There are two ways to do it... but not normally...

First off is to talk to the writers of RM about the possibility of dual display which probably won't happen unless everyone on here pestered them for the facility.

Second is to run two separate versions of RM and have each output to its own screen. Quite how, though, one would address the reading of the database issue between the two versions (they would both HAVE to read one database at the same time) is a little more complex and not that easy to sort out unless, again, the authors build this in.

As Fishy says at the point at which you stand now it is virtually impossible.

While thinking about this, of course, it would be great if you COULD use a laptop to display your main screen and a SECOND (networked through RM) to display the controls. You would still need a second licensed standalone copy of RM for the second machine (handheld, laptop or PC). But I believe the screens are mirrored with this method? Can someone confirm this? I did try this out but can't remember how it showed or worked at that time.

... you COULD use a laptop to display your main screen and a SECOND (networked through RM) to display the controls. You would still need a second licensed standalone copy of RM for the second machine (handheld, laptop or PC). But I believe the screens are mirrored with this method? Can someone confirm this? ...

Sorry for the delayed response - my layout has been dismantled whilst I carried out some changes to the room.

I can confirm that the screens on networked copies of RailMaster are NOT mirrored and each PC or Laptop can have it's own view.  For example I have set one up with 2 columns of Loco's , whilst the other has just 1.

There is no way to separate the Layout from the Loco information but you can of course display different views.

NormanQ4,

I can view but not post whilst at work so couldn't respond any earlier. I use two monitors; I think I have them set up as extended. The RM display comes up on the left monitor and can be stretched across to extend onto the right monitor. By carefully sizing up I can show the layout on the left monitor and loco controls on part of the right display. Photo attached!/media/tinymce_upload/5a926da3eb4abd741f4625cf9a4e78fe.JPG

Glad to see I was correct then even when showing caution around what I said as I had not done this for a good while and certainly not to use in any way... just tested.

Anyway, glad it is confirmed too and that others can use this information we give when they try it out for themselves.

If a question ain't asked then we can't help the members discover new stuff...

Yes, that's a good fiddle-round solution 37.  You are right the displays are extended (showing different content on each screen), then rather than maximising the RM screen, you've adjusted the size so it runs across onto the 2nd display.  It's only one RM screen, but across the two monitors.

What happens when you open a big throttle?

Hi, I have another "idea" but it isn't tested and I am away so cannot test it myself!

• On the first screen run the Railmaster program
  • On the second screen run a web browser
  • On the web browser navigate to www.my-apps.eu to run the Handheld App
  • (I am assuming that the IP address can be set to the PC you are running on - this is what I cannot test)
  • You would need the control on the main program and the plan on the browser - you may end up with 2 controls on the browser monitor and you will always have the plan on the main program...but... it may suffice!

(9.99GBP for the Handheld App unlock if it works)

I'm sure glad that I raised this subject since there appears to be some smart cookies on the forum with the ability to make the impossible become possible in a round about way.

I've again tried 37s suggestion but to no avail, I think I will need step by step instructions.

I notice 37 is using a desktop running 2 monitors, but I wanted to use a laptop for locos and a separate monitor for the track plan. I don't know if this makes any difference.

I've also added a suggestion in the RM desirable features topic in the hope that RM may take notice.

Quite simple, right click on any part of the empty screen, select graphics properties, then 2 displays, extended (not cloned), main monitor is laptop monitor, open RM which default isn't maximised, then just drag the RH edge across until all the loco throttles are on the 2nd monitor and drag the top and bottom edges to about fill the screen.  QED

• 3 weeks later...

Its difficult, as my 2 screens are different sizes (the monitor being much bigger than the laptop,) but i follow 37s method to use RM on my laptop and monitor. In short: easily: no, but there are workarounds.

XYZ 

I have a second (HD) monitor plugged into my laptop and this forms the left-side of my extended display. The main RM window is dragged to the top left of my external monitor then the window is extended down and right so the locos are on my laptop screen. When I click on a particular loco a second window is opened which I  move to the empty space on the laptop screen. As I have the Pro Pack I can have two loco pop-up windows. So I drive the trains via my laptop monitor and set routes (I do this via programs) on my external monitor. This external monitor is actually a big TV so everybody in the model railway shed can see what's going on.

Archived