RailMaster stability....purely an observation.

Guest Chrissaf

Some of you will be aware that I monitor the rm_setup.exe file (download link at the the top of the forum Railmaster section) on a daily basis looking for changes and updates.

The last time this download file was updated was 03/02/2016, thus this is the longest period of RailMaster stability that I have seen in a long time. Yes I know that at the top of the forum it says 01/02/2016, but a further undocumented change occurred on the 3rd.

Call me cynical if you like, but I wonder if Hornby's financial situation has a bearing. Cutting back on RailMaster development expenditure. Either that or maybe there is a major update in the pipeline that is sucking up software programming / development resources with the normal cycle of ongoing fixes being rolled into that instead.

I wonder too. Whilst Railmaster is fine (for me at least) as far as it goes, it does need an overhaul and to bring it up to date with the developments of competitors - particularly the graphics and, of course, more features the most notable of which is loco detection. These would require considerable resource and there are other options ranging from calling it a day either as is, or completely, through to buying/licensing an exisiting product as a replacement rather than spending a lot of money with onward development of Railmaster. 

Meantime, I would imagine that following their recent financial difficulties, the Company is undergoing, as a condition of their continued baking support, a Tesco like root and branch review of its product lines wich I suspect will mean we will see no changes in the short to medium term. 

Nice one Norman....made me chuckle  😆

PS - since you were highlighting a spelling typo, it's only fair I point out "they're" not "their" before Chris (Surrey) does.

Another chuckle moment courtesy of Tony.... a classic example of the subconscious mind taking over.

"and that it dies exactly what I want it to do"

And yes Poliss was correct....I was referring to update churn stability, not how it behaves in use.

Spot the typo or right spelling wrong word in the forums and we could be here forever. I know a lot are the result of predictive text and auto-correcting dictionaries but being pedantic...

wich (Chris(Surrey)) - which.

churn? (Chrissaf) - as in churn out I guess, so not a typo.

Pet hates of mine are:

you (the person) instead of your (belonging to you), your instead of you're (you are)

their (belonging to them), instead of there (that place) or they're (they are).

here (this place) instead of hear (listen).

I'll think of more later, but feel free to add yer own.

@RAF

You're opening a real can of worms with that suggestion and that's likely to require a whole new forum never mind another thread.

Biting ones tongue is a hazard of being a member of a forum.

I think I'll pass on your invitation since I don't think I could stand the pain but I have to admit it was very tempting.

@RAF96

churn? (Chrissaf) - as in churn out I guess, so not a typo.

Definitely not a typo. Churn as in "Churn Rate" how often things change in a given time frame.

For example, an energy service provider will lose customers and gain new customers as their prices fluctuate in the market place. The constant change in their customer base is their customer churn rate.

Jumping a bandwagon and not quite a typo but my pet hate is when someone starts an answer to a question with the word... "So..."

WHY can't they just answer the question without trying to put some form of reasoning in front it... almost like they're unsure of the answer.

I initially though it was just students but it's everywhere.... even abroad!

Aaagggghhhhh..... :-)

Jumping a bandwagon and not quite a typo but my pet hate is when someone starts an answer to a question with the word... "So..."

WHY can't they just answer the question without trying to put some form of reasoning in front it... almost like they're unsure of the answer.

I initially though it was just students but it's everywhere.... even abroad!

Aaagggghhhhh..... :-)

I second that AC. Also, when someone adds "Look" at the start of a sentence. It makes it sound to me like they are really trying to force their opinion onto you.

Another one is when the football pundits use the word "done" instead of "did". For example, "He done really well to get the cross in ...."

Ray

Archived