Disguise Accessory Decoder

flashleg8

I'm currently building a layout (roughly based on the trackmat) and I'm installing surface point motors.

I will be using two accessory decoders to control these and for various reasons I will need to install these on top of the base board and in the centre of the loop. I know this is not ideal and they should be mounted underneath or to the side but it's what I'm left with due to space and baseboard configurations.

My question is - are there any "off the shelf" buildings that will neatly fit over the top of these to disguise them. The decoders are quite wide, but not too tall. I don't have the exact measurements to hand, but can post at the weekend if that helps.

Hoping there was something like a signal box or house that would do without much modification. 

Any help appreciated.

Gordon

Does it have to be a building. What if the Accessory Decoders (assuming R8247s) were covered with a loose laid lift off scenic hill. For example a piece of polystyrene carved to shape with a recess in the base to take the decoders. Cover the polystyrene  with plaster cloth to form a tough skin, then cover that with scenic scatter or static grass as necessary.

It wouldn't even need to be a mountainous hill, just a mound. The R8247s are not particularly high. Adding some scenic mounds to the layout would add interest and take the eye away from a completely flat surrounding landscape. You could even create a valley (cutting) through which the track passed. With the track side embankment providing R8247 hiding places.

Just to throw some ideas into the pot. You might want to consider the R8014 and R8015 combination for the solenoid point motors in some locations replacing the R8243 surface mount solenoids. The R8014 / R8015 could also be mounted remotely from the point and connected by stiff piano wire or similar to operate the point. All these techniques can be used to hide surface mounted items, if under board mounting is not practicable for some reason.

For information (measured with a vernier rounded to nearest mm):

R8247 dimensions are Length 104mm, Width 70mm and Height 30mm

10-15mm wiring access clearance would also need to be allowed on three of the four sides (both long sides + one short side).

Thanks to both for the replies, exactly what I was after. Magfan, I like the idea of stacking them together, something I've not thought of.

Chrissaf I think the valley idea might fit my layout perfectly so I'll look at how I can fit that in. Thanks for the tips on the motors too.

Thanks a lot!

Archived