Cobalt Digital IP Point motors re-programming

PJ_model_trains

Cobalt Digital IP Point motors

I am hoping someone who has used and installed these point motors can help me.

I am using the RM eLink.

I can add the Cobalt point motor and write the port address to it no problem.

I can remove the self-centering when installed again no problem.

But if I try change polarity, which is a simple SWAP click in learn mode it does nothing?

If I try reprogram the point with another port ID it does nothing?

I have two electrofrog points sending the wrong polarity to the frog and cannot change it, it ignores every command I try send?

The point switch is put to learn mode every time, the command to swap is clicked twice as it recommends. The learn switch is then closed, the elink is powered down and RM is closed and restarted but it ignores every request after the first set up.

The issue is every point motor, not just one, every one allows the first set up and ignores any commands in learn mode after that?

Has anyone else experienced issues of this type?

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Hi PJ,

To correct the polarity to the frog just change over the two wires that supply the cobalt.

Sorry can't help with the reprogramming issues at the moment, but if I get the time tomorrow i'll set up my e-link and see what happens when I try to reprogram a cobalt.

Regards

Chris

Hi again PJ,

Having set up my  e-link, I can report that I can reprogram my cobalts with no issues.

Reading your post again I think you were getting a little bit confused by the "swap direction" command mentioned in the cobalt instructions. All that the "swap direction" command, address 197, does is change the direction of throw. For example left becomes right. If you are getting shorts when crossing points, as I mentioned in my reply above, just swap over the two dcc connections to the cobalt, this has the effect of changing the polarity to the frog.

As an aside, I have discovered that ticking the change polarity box when setting up points in track design has no effect whatsoever.

This is how I program/change settings on my cobalts:

I added three points, with the addresses 197, 198, 199, these are required to change direction of throw, de-activate self-centering and activate self centering, to my track plan.

If you need to change the direction of throw, for example you have a passing loop where you need one point to switch left and the other to switch right, what I do is:

1) Move the address/run switch to address on the Cobalt that you want to change.

2) Click on the 197 point, that I had added to my layout screen, twice.

3) Move the address/run switch to run.

4) Disconnect the power from the track, just remove on of the wires from the e-link.

5) Wait a few seconds and then reconnect, no need to restart railmaster.

To change an existing point address:

1) Change the point number in track design.

2) Save and exit back to the main layout screen.

3) Move the address/run switch to address on the Cobalt that you want to change.

4) Click on the on your layout schematic, twice.5) Move the address/run switch back to run, no need to power down the Cobalt or restart railmaster.

6) PLAY TRAINS 😆

Hope this is of some use.

Chris

PJ, if you are doing everything Hairy has said and still have problems, you may have faulty Cobalts.  Contact DCC Concepts by email and see what they have to say.

By coincidence, I was within a mile of their shop attending a meeting only yesterday and could have gone and thumped my fist on the counter for you.  No use asking now though, I'm back to my usual 4,000km away from them.

Hi Hairy/Fishy

Not a good start, I typed my reply, posted it and it had timed out. I had got used to cut n paste in case it timed out but, forgot this morning so let me start again!

Firstly  - swapping the wires has solved the polarity situation to the frog. Thank you.

I had tried this but along with trying to reprogram the points and using RM to change polarity for the point I got frustrated. In fairness I didn't realise at first power was going to the branch when straight and vis-versa, it was only after leaving until the following morning I tested and found that issue. Anyway that sorted where are we with everything else?

Secondly - programming the points. I purchased 2 boxes of the Cobalt IP Digital points, 24 in all. As the most complex part was in the double loop area when a point failed to respond I removed it and added another new one. It seems they will program once, they will remove self centering once but after that refuse any commands sent to them.

When I placed two electrofrog points on the outer line (toe to toe) they worked first time. So when it came to the inner line, joining one outer point to the double slip, followed by three electrofrog points in a row the last one joining to the second outer rail branch I naturally expected them to work. The two points after the double slip were (toe to heel) and the last one (toe to heel) going onto the additional board was not connected. So the issue was these two electrofrog points in the middle, after the double slip. The second point after the double slip was the branch that picked up track from two reverse loops.

Due to points not working or refusing to reprogram I now have eight points not working. Today I plan to test each one by one and make notes of the outcome of each. I was going to write to eHatton over the weekend but as Fishy says, maybe it would be best to write direct to Cobalt and see what they say.

I am pretty sure when I tested that the reverse polarity in RM when ticked did change the point, but Hairy you say when you tested yours it did nothing. As I understand from the past HRMS had didabled this, meaning what you say should be right, I will test again later and see what happens. I was pretty sure it made changes for me, and I re-downloaded the lasted version of RM and installled over the existing only 2-3 days ago.

I will report back on the findings as it could help should others experience issues in the future.

Thanks again for your suggestions, have a nice weekend.

UPDATE

There were 7 point motors that failed and were put to one side whilst I installed others to get the current part of the layout working.

Today I have tested all 7 using just two short wires from the eLink to each point motor, one by one.

2 are working fine, the other 5 are unresponsive???

I have wired the point motors one by one as stated above, 

Test-1 was to try get it to work with decoder Port number that I originally tried to write to it. - No response!

Test-2 was to command it to centre when switched on power - No response!

Test-3 was to try command a new Port number to it from the main screen - No response!

Test-4 was to try write the Port number via Program assessory decoder - No Response!

One would think may be the wires are not making contact but they are newly prepared wires and 2 point motors work, 5 don't all with the same wires? If it was the wires it wouldn't work for all points tested. All testing is done on the small table in front of the PC screen where I could clearly see the wires go in, clearly see there are no strands to cause shorting, I even squeezed the spring loaded lever after the wire was inserted. Finally the wires are in the correct end of the point motor, DCC in and DCC in. 

The point motors are very good, response is accurate and certain with no chance of any slip back at all. They are not exactly quiet but I do not find then too noisey, certanly better than the click click or the solenoid point motors. Some point motors make more noise than others but I do not find this an issue. Programming is easy (for those working). I also think at £15 each they are excellent value as they have their own built in decoder.

I am frustrated with the ones not working but am very pleased with those that do. I think I have just been unlucky, if anyone has any further suggestions I am happy to try them.

UPDATE

I sent an email to DCCconcepts yesterday afternoon.

This morning I have two replies, one from Peter and one from Richard. I am carry out tests as requested by Peter and providing the information he has asked for.

The response is fantastic, Richards comments very reassuring. First Class service.

Richard offers further reassurance, confirming... 'I am looking forward to opening our UK offices in July so we can be closer and give even faster service!'

This may not help me now, I may have to send items to them in Australia, but with Richard's heart felt concern to sort any issues I have as fast as possible, and that they will have a UK base soon this is certainly good news for all purchasers of their products. I naturally look forward to my issues being sorted, and have no worries they will not be, but can only wish them well for the future. 

I have returned 7 to DCCconcepts today.

My concern is the ones installed, for me it seemed they would all program once but if I tried re-program them they not only refused to work but appeared to die a death and do nothing afterwards.

Richard did say Hornby had problems in the beginning with the eLink? He also said communication problems from the eLink was an issue.

I wonder if the eLink board has changed in the last 2.5 years? I am aware firmware was updated.

I think I will also pass this by HRMS

Send them back to the UK retailer you bought them from.  I had 2 fail out a box of 12 and Hattons replaced them no problem. I have another box of 12 yet to open. I'll test them all before installing them.

Hi TWD

What was reason for returning, what was the fault you experienced?

Archived