No track power.

Good evening. I am unable to get power to the track via e-link. I have the lastest download of railmaster and the os is windows 10. The green light is on on the e-link box and I have had no problems writing cv's to loco's but there is no track power. I have had someone else check the settings ect but they also could not work out why no power is getting to the track.There is also no power output readings with the meter probes directly in contact with the e-link box. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

John

switch off the power and Disconnect the eLink from your track. If you can't read 15v AC on the track outputs when you power  the e-link on and the green led is lit then it sounds like the e-link is faulty. If you do read 15v AC connect it back to your track. If you now read 0v, you have a short circuit somewhere on your track

While the two wires from the eLink are connected to the unit and not the track itself test the ends of the cables with a metre. There could be a break along the cable somewhere... not highly likely but you'd feel a bit daft if you found one. So you not only test the two outputs as noted above by Nick but also the wiring. If you are getting both to give an output then the track is at fault.

It is also important to stress that the multimeter used to test the TRACK output must be set to read AC volts and not DC.  If it is set to DC it can read zero volts and this will lead you to believe there is no track power output.  The DCC controller outputs a roughly 15V AC signal.

Another thing to note is that sometimes it is possible to use the supplied power cable and connect it to the terminals on the eLink in such a way that the metal from the wires is not making contact with the metal of the terminal clips, e.g. the terminals clips are over the plastic sheath of the cable.

When using your multimeter use the probes to touch directly against the metal of the terminal clips.  It is very rare indeed that if the eLink powers up and is making a high-pitched noise (normal) and the gren power LED is on and steady that no power is produced at the TRACK output.

Thank you for your usual promt and helpful advice. Have tried all you suggest a few times myself and had an electrician check all that I had done. The meter was on ac, the green light is steady and there is a buzzing noise from the unit but there is no output reading of any sort.

Regards,

John

• 1 month later...

Archived