Elink railmaster software and megapoint controller

highlandchris

@highlandchris..................If you want a definitive answer, Chris, surely it would be best to send a request to Megapoints...........their email is........info@megapointscontrollers.com or phone ...07846 409320... HB

The answer is on the Megapoints Controller web site:

http://loolee.org/megapoints/index.html

Firstly the linked web page states and I quote:

"Best with an NMRA compliant controller (thats just about everything in the last 10 years). Also works with some older legacy controllers such as the early Hornby Select."

Thus if it works with Hornby Select that they consider to be 'out of date Legacy', then it will almost certainly work with Hornby RailMaster & eLink which is NMRA compliant.

Secondly, the Megapoints 'DCC Module' (that you require to interface the Megapoint Servo Controller board to RailMaster & eLink) is a 'Self Learning' DCC decoder. Thus you do not need specific configuration support built in to RM to support it.

In essence you place your points on your track design within RM, allocate your point (port) numbers. Put the Megapoint DCC Module into 'Learn Mode'. Operate the point within RM to send the DCC address. Once the Accessory DCC Address is detected the DCC Module accepts the address and switches back to operate mode......job done.

It's all described in the DCC Module downloadable manual (link located on the page URL given above).

PS - The Megapoints DCC Module will connect to your eLink Track A&B DCC output (not that there is a separate accessory output on the eLink). The Megapoints DCC Module, then connects in turn to the Megapoints Servo controller board to control the individual point servos.

For yourself and others that follow, you might also drop an email to HRMS via the facility in the Help window of RM asking for these to be added to the list of supported decoders.

Or we could just ask Adam to move the thread to the RM forum where HRMS will see it anyway. Adam?

Thanks for your replies in particular to chris. Yes i do now realise that there is no accessory connection on the e link. Howdo you assign the port numbersfor each point. Does each point have a port numbersay for each megapoints controller then a sub address. Each controller can control only 12 points signals etc.

As you have stated you use RailMaster & eLink. Then your controller has no physical buttons to press. Thus everything has to be done via the RM screen. This description makes an assumption that you will have purchased one Megapoints DCC Module and a Megapoints Controller for up to 12 servos.

In RM you will need to configure a track plan in the track plan design window (see RM 1.64 manual pages 77 to 98). In creating the track plan you will place point icons onto it.

For the purpose of this description I will assume that you have four points.

For each of the four points you drag a Red point operating icon to the point, place your mouse cursor in the middle of the point and release the left mouse button. The Red & Green point operating icons will snap to their correct positions. Do not try and place the Red & Green icons manually. They have to be allowed to snap to their position (see pages 85 to 87 of the RM manual).

Decide on your point numbering scheme. You might just go with point numbering starting at 1 but you don't have to. Whatever numbering scheme you choose the first number is termed your BASE Address - see later

For the purpose of this description I will assume your four points number 1, 2, 3 & 4 and your BASE Address is therefore number 1. If you chose a BASE number as 10, then your four points would number 10, 11, 12 & 13.

Now on your track plan, right click the point operation icon for the point on the screen you want to configure as point 1. A pop up box will appear (see RM manual page 87).

In the popup select 1 in the pull down "Decoder port" box, leave the Type as "Hornby R8247 4 port decoder". Close the popup box.

Do the same for the other points, select "Decoder port" 2 for point 2, 3 for 3, 4 for 4 etc

The Megapoints DCC Module will be connected to your eLink Track A&B output, either directly or via your DCC track distribution wiring.

On the Megapoint DCC Module (extract below taken from Megapoints DCC Module manual).

Setting the DCC BASE address to 1

1. Press and hold the left (or top on earlier boards) button for about one second until the red light illuminates.
  2. From your DCC controller send an accessory packet to DCC address 1. The red light will extinguish as soon as the DCC module has discovered an accessory packet. The DCC module is now configured to use addresses 1-12 for the MegaPoints outputs 1-12.
  3. Send an accessory packet to any address in the 1-12 range and observe the servo move as each DCC command is received.

OK same again but in plain English.

• Item 1 in the list means pressing the button on the DCC Module labelled "ADDR" until the Red LED lights then release the button.
  • Item 2 in the list means Open RM in normal operating mode so that your track plan is functional. On the track plan click the point operating icon (say Red for example) on the point that you have given the BASE Address to. In this example it is point 1. Do not click ANY OTHER on screen points other than the one with the BASE Address. Watch for the Red LED on the DCC Module to go out, signifying that the point 1 BASE address has been seen and accepted. The DCC Module has now been configured with ALL of the addresses 1 to 12 inclusive.
  • Item 3 in the list means, everything has been addressed and by clicking RM on screen point icons for any of the four points should see the appropriate servos move. Clicking point 1 on the RM screen should see servo 1 move, clicking point 2 on the RM screen should see servo 2 move and so on.

Note, That prior to doing all above, you need to set up all the Servos to the Servo Controller board, setting their travel limits etc. This is all covered in the Megapoints Servo Controller board manuals. These activities do not require anything to be done within RM.

Amendment to above: As the Megapoints DCC Module contains 12 DCC addresses when in standard mode (i.e NOT in 'Gateway Mode'), then I suggest that BASE addresses should be chosen in multiples of 12. For example:

1, 13, 25, 37 etc

Such that points number

1 to 12

13 to 24

25 to 36

37 to etc

Chris Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. As a matter of interest I will be using at least two megaqpoint controllers. I assume therefore that i will need to put the first controller into gate way mode. can the points numbering be the same or will i have to increment them differently or will the meapoints know to jump to the next controller for 13-24 and to the third for numbers 25-36 etc.

I vey much appreciate the time that you have spent on my questions. I hope this is the last for a while!!!!

I suggest you read ALL the manuals on the Megapoint site before putting your hand in your pocket. If you put the DCC Module in 'Gateway Mode', you will then need other boards as well. Such as the Multipanel Processor board @ £70 (included as part of the Multipanel Starter Kit - see below).

I recommend this Megapoint manual (click "MegapointsNetworkGuideRev9" link further below) as your starting point. It gives an overview of how the different boards fit together and a descriptive function of each. Then once this is understood, move on to the individual manuals posted on the Megapoint site for each board. There is a wealth of information on the Megapoint site including 'How to' videos.

In order to answer your numerous questions I have just read the manuals nothing more. I have never used this kit myself, but I can read and understand the content of technical manuals and how to apply what I read to Hornby's RM control system.

http://loolee.org/megapoints/docs/MegaPointsNetworkGuideRev9.pdf

If all you want is up to 24 points then the simplest and cheapest option is to have two DCC Modules and two Servo Controller boards in separate pairs.

The first pair to handle servos 1 to 12 using a Base address of 1

The second pair to handle servos 13 to 24 using a Base address of 13

Doing it that way would cost (excluding the servos):

2 x DCC Modules (in Standard mode configuration) @ £25 each

2 x Servo Controller boards (support for 12 servos each) @ £50 each

Total is thus £150

If you use the 'Gateway' configuration option then you will need (excluding the servos):

1 x DCC Module (in Gateway mode configuration) @ £25

1 x Multipanel Starter Kit (support for up to 24 servos) @ £198

Total is thus £223

If you need more than 24 servos, then you add more Servo Controller boards to the Multipanel Starter kit above @ £50 for each additional block of 12 servos. Or just add another DCC Module / Servo Controller pair in 'Standard Mode' configuration and configure them as servos 25 to 36 with a base address of 25.

In 'Gateway Mode' you configure the Base address as 1 and the DCC Module auto configures the whole range of addresses from 1 to 192 instead of the 1 to 12 used in the examples.

The DCC Module then communicates to the other boards via a Megapoint serial databus. The different boards are allocated their addresses from the 1 to 192 range automatically based on how you connect them up. This is one of the functions of the Multipanel Processor board @ £70. Then additionally when using the Multipanel, you can add a 'Route Processor' board and other boards with optional features. However, the 'Route Processor' will not give you any significant benefit as you can create routes in the RM software. The Megapoint 'Route Processor' is meant for people who are not using PC control and predominantly operating their points via switches and buttons. 

Its all in the manual that I have given you a direct link for above. Your best bet is to read and digest it.

I do openly admit that the Megapoint manuals are not written very well for newbies. I had to read them several times before the pennies started to click into place. However, I have seen an awful lot worse in terms of manufacturers documentation. The Megapoint people have tried really hard to make the manuals simple, but their kit is quite sophisticated and complex, so it is not easy to make the documentation simplistic.

The key to understanding the individual product board manuals is to read and understand the overview "Network Guide Rev 9" document first (link near top of this reply).

Thdo anks very much for yetanother comprehensive reply. Yeah I can see you are able to understand the technical aspects very well wish I could. Funny enough i have already purchsed the eqivelent of the starter kit but when i bought it it wasnt known as that then.cc

I have in fact purchased some time ago the following  2x Servo Contoller, 1 X megapanel processor board, 1 X dcc interface,

1 X led Test board and 1 x switch test board. I note what you say with regard to the route processor board and I wont be purchasing that. I do intend to make a mimic panel to put elsewhere on the layout so I can see whats going on away from the computer screen. Although I hope to also tryout the android app for wandering around the layout.

I am as you can tell an absolute beginner at this and I hope I havent bitten off more than i can chew.

Once again thank you very much for your help chris.

It was a useful exercise for me too. I find I understand technical manuals more easily if there is a task that needs completing. That is to say, a purpose and an outcome to be achieved. Just reading the manuals just for the sake of it without such a task, for me anyway, means that I end up glossing over everything and not taking anything in. As a result of researching your questions, I have a better all round understanding of the Megapoint products than I had before I started.

Archived