help please

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the example I cited (support from Anti-Virus company). It was me the user that had to make the connection to them. There was no requirement for me to open any generic 'remote access' configuration in either Windows or the PC & Router Firewalls. In fact, I didn't have to change any Windows default security settings at all.

I have also, allowed, and watched RM, and anti virus connections. Because you are sitting watching, you know exactly what they access. In case of HRMS, just rm/ usb, and anti virus, just their settings. In order to have money disappear, you need the PIN Sentry code, from the machine, on your desk. It is a different number, every time, and also requires other info, not on computer. There is far more chance of a hacking elsewhere. I totally trust HRMS, and my anti virus company. both of whom have my grateful thanks for their problem solving abilities. If you dont want people to access your computer, the only way, is to stay off the net. john

Fooju, am fairly sure, once HRMS, connect remotely, not only will your trains run, but any blame for non running, will be shown to be nothing to do with Elnk/ hornby. This has been the case in 99.9% of  assistance given. john

I have gone back through the cases on the forum, and can only find one instance where controller was changed. We see about 1% of elink users, if that. If this was a big problem the net would be alive with chat, and it aint. Normally a usb, anti virus/ make of machine. We will no doubt be told. john

funny how some people are being really helpful and trying to help me i have done everything that the helpful people have told me to do and that i have been told to do via hornby mail but like any forum you always get the snide remarks from some people i am not a stupid little school girl if i thought asking for help was going to be such a big problem i wouldnt have bothered 

Mejulie & fooju.

I for one, as I know others here too, have only one goal in contributing on here. That is to help others and in particular newbies to the best of our ability.

There are many examples where advice given here by other Hornby users have resolved issues to the complete satisfaction of the original poster. These activation issues are the hardest to resolve when we don't have visibility of your screen and hands on capability of your mouse and keyboard. It is these harder to resolve issues that invariably get resolved by direct HRMS involvement. Their remote access capability gives them the hands on tools that are not available to us, just normal users like yourselves.

Wow, a further 2 pages generated on this overnight while I slept here.  And for a start, I'll admit to sometimes appearing a little directive and apologise if you thought that the case from me.  Like Chris, I only aim to help.

I'll make some remarks now, then finally just one more question.  And thanks for confirming to us you've tried everything we suggested.

Poliss, I too have only had good experiences with remote logon, both from AV supplier and MS.  I agree it would be easier to leave something nasty behind while inside someone else's computer and that happening just once would completely spoil your day.  Hasn't happened to me yet, and none of the many forum users (yes many, not being able to set up RM by yourself happens regularly along with even more who've managed it by themselves) who've had HRMS log on to their computers to solve their setup problems have ever reported subsequently they ended up with a back door problem.

john, I agree there have been very few reported eLink failure and replacement problems over the last couple of years.  This wasn't the case early on, before you got yours, with lots reporting them replaced under warranty by Hornby after diagnosis by HRMS without remote login.  Clearly the initial manufacture batch had problems.

Now just one more double question mejulie - did you contact HRMS from within the RM Help screen, or via the direct support@ email, or both, and have you had the initial auto response from them particularly via the RM Help screen method?

I'm not saying that RM would do anything nasty to your computer. I'm saying a back door must be opened for them to be able to use remote access. Who knows what hackers are doing while this back door is open?

Of course the user wouldn't know about it. Wouldn't be a very sucessful hack if they did. I'm not saying money would be withdrawn directly from your bank account, but you might suddenly find the London Congestion Charge on your bank statement, even though you've never been to London and don't even drive.

I wouldn't call it a back door, more a front door.  The program they use is similar to something like Logmein that you use yourself for remote access to your own machine.  It allows the remote user to both see your desktop and use the mouse and keyboard when you run the program on your computer.  Then unlike Logmein, it also includes a dialogue screen so you can talk to each other via your keyboards.  You have the control of starting and stopping the remote session by running the program on your computer or not.  Then you probably knew all of that anyway?

Hi Fishmanoz we emailed them direct they sent the auto response also they have seen this thread and emailed me asking for the activation key so they could check it out so its just a waiting game now 

Hi Everyone  just a update just this minute had support check my computer well infact take it over I had done every thing right they just done two things 1  i had allowed r/m ok but they allowed r/m exe as well 

2  compatibilty to windows 7 

so thank you everyone for trying to help me 

Granted, it was HRMS logging on and resolving the issue in the end. But it was Hornby Customer Care that suggested you raised your problem with the forum, and the forum that on page 1 of this thread correctly identified the issue as being the security configuration. You probably wouldn't have known about the HRMS remote log in service had you not joined up on here, its not well publicised by Hornby elsewhere (possibly not wanting to generate too much demand). Your story also demonstrates the importance of posting RM related issues in the RM forum section where HRMS can have visibility of them.

Pleased for you that the issue is now resolved, even if it did take longer than ideal to rectify.

Oh and thank you for taking the time to come back here and update us with the revised status, not everybody does......everyone likes to hear a happy ending to a story.

Security configuration Chris? The main problem seems to be it's not compatible with Windoze 10 and has to use compatibilty mode for old operating systems.

Not Hornby's fault John? Then why didn't it say in the instructions to allow r/m.exe?

When purchasing a new computer programme I don't want to have to get in touch with customer support to get it to work.

It works perfectly fine on my Windows 10 without resorting to using compatibility modes.

I know it may not sound like it, but I do totally agree with you. It should work straight out of the box. It shouldn't need operating system tweaks, and if it does, the installer should be intelligent enough to make them without any user intervention. I was saying this two years ago. But as you know as well as I, as soon as you start making negative comments against the quality of the software writing HRMS get very defensive. So it is just not worth the hassle of deriding the product.

We work with what we are given, or do as you have done and buy something different.

Poliss, do you have a set of Rm instructions. Can you conferm from them, that it does not say allow rm  exe. We know all about the windows 10 problems, thars why several of us, have not gone there. As for the product, we can all choose to vote with our feet if unhappy. For the price, there is nothing so well supported. john

John. The Hornby 'Security' PDF does indeed mention the full text of the Railmaster application as "railmaster.exe" in more than one location.

Can't tell you John. The RM instructions say download the seperate anti-virus .PDF from powerpos.com, but all I get is a 404 not found. Why would there have to be a seperate .PDF to get a programme to work? Far too complicated for me.

How do you know that there's nothing so well supported for the price?

Archived