Brighton belle dcc set

Flembo

I have just bought a Brighton belle set from ebay. The seller did not describe it as factory dcc fitted and I prefer it to be analogue at the moment. Could any of you tell me how to convert it to analogue?Is it just a matter of removing the chip?

Thanking you in advance

No need to remove the chip if it has factory default settings. The factory default for DCC decoders is to have 'DC Support' enabled. It should run absolutely fine 'as is' on your Analogue DC layout.

It is putting a DC loco on a DCC layout that has the problems and issues.

Flembo, hi, have the same set.  If it was not sold as DCC fitted, it wont be, as the price is considerably higher, that being the case. Mine is DCC ready, eg, needs a chip fitted to make it DCC. Presumably, you have the Boxes, and instructions. They clearly  show exact model. Before going any further, just have a read, or email the ebay guy, and ask him. Do the table lamps come on. Is this just the 2 car set, and have you joined them together. If not, try running the power car, on its own. Could be faulty . Let us know. DO NOT, take it apart. john

Could you tell me how to find out if its on a factory default setting.

Without a capable DCC Controller that can read and write DCC CV configuration settings it is impossible to tell. Assuming it was bought off e-bay second hand, then it might be a case that the previous owner disabled DC support.

If it is not running on DC and you don't have access to a DCC Controller, then you might as well remove the decoder. But be aware of this. When you remove the plugin decoder you need to replace it with a decoder 'blanking plug' else the wheel pickup wires will not be connected to the electric motor circuit.

The connector is most likely an 8 pin one, but may be a 21 pin one (but unlikely). You can buy packs of 'blanking plugs' here:

8 Pin Blanking Plugs

21 Pin Blanking Plugs

This, of course, all assumes that the loco was originally a DCC ready loco and contains the socket. If the previous owner performed a wired upgrade to DCC, then reverting it back physically to DC will be more onerous. Better in that case to take it to a model railway shop and ask them to factory reset the decoder (write decimal value 8 to CV8).

Or if it is not running at all, then send it back for a refund.

You have no problems with your other locos?

You need to ask the seller if it has had a decoder fitted. If so, then you need to ask if DC has been turned off.

I presume you're talking about the 00 gauge model and not the N gauge version?

Thanks for all your interest and help. The set was sold by a son clearing his late fathers models. He said it ran well and lit up. I presume he has no great model railway knowledge. The motor unit is factory dcc fitted and it is marked as such on the hornby box. As I said dcc is a mystery to me. 

It is oo. All my other locos are pure analogue from model railways dark ages or dcc ready and all run well. Im sure this motor coach is in good order for a dcc layout I just want it to run as analogue.

Flembo, are you sure it says DCC fitted on box, Not DCC ready. From my knowledge, Hornby sold them as DCC ready. If it is fitted, it would be written on the box, and in the instructions. Is this, a 2 car set, or 5 car set. Do you know anybody who has DCC.If not, pop it in to a model shop, for them to test. They would be able to adjust the CV, on their controller. john

Hi Flembo,

If your Brighton Belle is the same as mine R3184 and a 8 pin decoder blanking plug is required, a normal blanking plug will not work properly, it will probable run ok but the lights more than likely wont work. The blanking plug that came fitted to mine has 4 diodes and a capacitor fitted to it with R3184 printed on the pcb. The only reason I can think of for the diodes and the capacitor is for running the table lamps.

As Chrissaf mentioned, your easiest option is to get the decoder reset at your local model shop, or even visit a local model railway club armed with choccy biccies as a bribe 😆

Regards Chris

I want to thank you all for your interest and advice. I took the blanking plug out of my dcc ready 2bil set, put it in the Brighton Belle and everything works. 

Again many thanks to you all

Flembo

Just out of curiosity. What then will you do with the DCC Ready 2Bil set now that you have removed the blanking plug from it?

Just out of curiosity. What then will you do with the DCC Ready 2Bil set now that you have removed the blanking plug from it?

Chrissaf

I wanted to see if a blanking plug would work. Just need to get another now

Flembo

Archived