Hornby Points Decoder track connection

dougal_robb

Hi all. I have recentaly bought a points decoder but no track connecting wires were inculded. I was wondering how do i connect it to the track. Can i use normal wire? also can i connect my select conroller to the track with oust going through a power cilp? Finally do i have to use a special type of wire for wiring my dcc layout? thanks DOUGAL

Hi

Basic Select controller as supplied with the 1.0Amp power supply you could use virtually any wire with a 1.0Amp rating or higher. But I recommend especially for easy of fitting using 16/0.2mm equipment wire.  If you chose to upgrade the power supply to the 4.0Amp version I would consider using 24/0.2mm wire between Controller and rails and the 16/0.2mm for all other connections.  While 7/0.2mm will work its very fine wire can lead to pull out issues in the terminals!

The best connections are to solder the wire to the rails outer web area or even better to the rails undersides where they become virtually invisible.  If you use power connection clips or power track section for any feed input or take off place for accessory decoders etc do make sure it's the Digital version as the DC ones have a small capacitor fitted inside and this causes problems with the DCC signals.  You can though flip open a DC connectors cover and snip out the capacitor!

Archived