Hornby Elite - good or dated?

Nictor

Running my newly built n gauge layout with a Hornby Select and occasionally a basic Bachmann. Looking to buy a   more sophisticated unit. I want two throttles. How do people rate the Hornby Elite, good or a bit dated now?

I'm happy with my Elites and the Select I have as a walkabout and Railmaster as my layout controlling software.

It is well known that the grass is ever greener on the other side of the fence, until you either have to eat it or cut it that is, when suddenly it isn't all you thought it was. The same goes for electronic gadgets. I have a box full of stuff that was 'all singing all dancing', which is why I bought it, until I got to use it then found out it wasn't quite as good as I thought.

I've found something that I like in Hornby's DCC kit, its reliable and user friendly, so I shall stick with it, rather than chase rainbows with other brands.

I'm happy with my Elites and the Select I have as a walkabout and Railmaster as my layout controlling software.

It is well known that the grass is ever greener on the other side of the fence, until you either have to eat it or cut it that is, when suddenly it isn't all you thought it was. The same goes for electronic gadgets. I have a box full of stuff that was 'all singing all dancing', which is why I bought it, until I got to use it then found out it wasn't quite as good as I thought.

I've found something that I like in Hornby's DCC kit, its reliable and user friendly, so I shall stick with it, rather than chase rainbows with other brands.

Hey Raf,

I'm a newcomer to model rail as you know.

But I have the Select and now an Elite on the way.

After watching a few youtube videos demonstrating the Elite, I thought it looked the way to go.

If you get the correct cable (round section not flat - cant remember the R number at the present) and keep your loco addresses within range you can also have a handy walkabout and your Select doesn't become redundant.

If you get the correct cable (round section not flat - cant remember the R number at the present) and keep your loco addresses within range you can also have a handy walkabout and your Select doesn't become redundant.

Thanks Raf,

The Dave Laine cable has been highly recommended. I have ordered one.

For the benefit of other readers. The official Hornby Walkabout cable is the R8266

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/power-control/dcc-accessories/rj12-select-elite-to-walkabout-select-lead.html.

Be wary of adverts on the net selling this R number. Some sell a flat cable version. Only the round cable version is recommended. There are many posts on this forum from about two years ago relating to the pros & cons of the flat vs round R8266 cables. The round cable uses twisted pairs, the flat cable uses parallel wires. The round cable twisted pairs reject interference that Hornby found later to be a problem, hence they came up with the new improved R8266 round cable twisted pair design.

Some early Hornby documentation showed the R8236 (flat) RJ12 cable as being used for Walkabouts. Some sellers still incorrectly quote the R8236 as the cable for Walkabouts. The R8236 cable should only be used with Hornby Boosters.

That said, and before others point it out, there are many users using the R8236 flat cable as a Walkabout cable without issue. Not everybody is affected by interference in their particular environment.

I think the Elite is fine. I'm a very basic user, and yet to explore what it is capable of. I can change my Cobalt points with no problems, although they are also switched - which is a quicker option. I have my layout and the programming track permanently wired up - and it all works well. I think sometimes there is a degree of "snobbery" with regards the appearance of the Elite as it tends to look like something from an up-market train set rather than something from a hi-tech control panel. If I had any negative comment it would be that it now costs twice as much as I paid for mine - but I suppose you could say that about many things that have been around for a while.

I have 2 David Laine Round  yellow cables, for Walklabout. Absolutely perfect. He will make up any lenth, or standard off the shelf. The bright yellow, also makes them very visable, for us clumsy ones. Hornby, were out of stock. john

Thanks all for the info. I  will get one. Not the least bit interested in running my laout from a PC, ipad, etc.

Me either,

Kinda defeats the whole purpose for me anyway. I want to escape pc's, laptops, ipads etc.

Trust me I'm not knocking it, I have one of my own.........but you can always tell if the user on a YouTube video is using a Hornby Elite controller. There is this loud bassy double 'toy like' clunk in the sound track every time the presenter presses the Elite knob to do something.

The sound of the clunk reminds me of the sound the switches on some of those electronic learning toys for 3 year olds make.

Trust me I'm not knocking it, I have one of my own.........but you can always tell if the user on a YouTube video is using a Hornby Elite controller. There is this loud bassy double clunk in the sound track every time the presenter presses the Elite knob to do something.

That's all part of the tactile experience 😀

Or it could be argued that it saves putting in the cost of a speaker to provide audio confirmation feedback of button presses..... 🤑 😉

Could only be for sound couldn't it.  Very hard to get a light show out of a speaker, more than once at least.  Probably abandoned the idea when they discovered all the speaker ever produced was Chris going double clunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived