Hornby Elite - good or dated?

Nictor

When I upgraded from the Select, I considered the Elite - far too expensive for me. I went with the NCE Powercab, together with a second independant throttle, which has most of the same functionalities, minus the ability to alter CVs. This is done with the Powercab throttle. I was able to purchase all items significantly cheaper than the purchse price of the Elite, and the hand-held nature of the controllers is much more intuitive.

Great system.

Nobody doubts, the NCE system, but secondhand elites are available from about £100 on ebay, so  one does not need to buy a new one. Both of  the 2 i bought, were about £115, and my lad and i am delighted with them. Using in conjunction with RM, and laptops, makes them very versatile.  I agree, they  have not been modified since day one, apart from regular Firmware updates, but why would you want to change something, that aint broke. john

The only fault I can find with my Elite is - as Chrissaf mentioned - the loud plastic box 'clop' every time a button is pressed!

I've solved the minor problem of the two sets of wires necessary - tangling, by using an old-style coiled telephone wire from the controller to track, and running the power wires down the middle of it. (Which also stops the coiled wire from tying itself in knots over a period of time!)

John, hasn't been modified since day 1, apart from regular firmware updates, might be better put as .......... has full DCC functionality and is being regularly updated with new firmware to fix bugs and retain interoperability with new DCC hardware and systems.

The owner of Dean Park, which is featured in an eight-page spread in the November Hornby magazine uses an Elite with Hornby Railmaster - his layout if a loft based one 25x11. It is a fantastic layout, and albeit with Railmaster, the owner obviously finds the Elite ok. His YouTube tutorials are on a par with Everard Junction - very informative and certainly worth watching.

Archived