Upgrading to DCC, I'd like advice

I Like Trains

Hi,

I've had a set for a while, about 8 years, it's modest but I'm planning to upgrade it soon. With it I want to invest in DCC. all my models I think are pre DCC although the oldest I think is from 2004. I haven't yet taken them apart to see if they are DCC ready, which I doubt.

i intend to get the elink with the software, although I've heard it's buggy I feel I'm sufficiently tech savvy to figure it out. i want to have 4 or more trains running simultaneously, with the option to add ore in the future. I also intend to add points and signals after I've got the infrasteucture for it. 

So what I'd mainly like to know is what's the best way to start? I think I may buy the majestic set as it has the elink, two trains and the software included along with some track. Although I've heard the deisel train included isn't very detailed and is a little disappointing. So I may consider buying everything separately instead. 

also will I be able to upgrade my old trains, they aren't that old but they aren't new enough to have been pre fitted with DCC sockets. And can someone please explain the different numbers of pins and the significance of them? 

Thanks

The Majestic set is still available on sale from the Hornby website shop. It has often been recommended as a starter into RailMaster control of your layout. The sum of the set is cheaper than its parts.

2004 manufactured locos are probably DCC compatible, which I offer means easy to hardwire if there is no socket although while your model may have been released in 2004 the tooling maybe much older but still many older Hornby locos have been successfully 'chipped'.

From 2005 Hornby began to fit DCC sockets into many locomotives (often the tender). These tended to be the larger locos though more recently even 0-6-0s and now the 0-4-0 Sentinels come with DCC sockets.

If you have the model Rxxxx number a quick look on Google will tell you whether the model came DCC ready (socket fitted).

Hornby has the 8-pin socket fitted for their own basic R8249 decoder. They also sell the R8245 Sapphire 21-pin decoder with its own 8-pin adapter included. Someone will come along and explain the feature difference between the two.

Hi ILT, welcome to the forums. You already have some good advice from CS (Coral Sea - choralc, get it, he lives near it) and if I can add some.

I wouldn't call RM and eLink buggy but it is sometimes a challenge to set up correctly.  There's heaps on doing so in the RM forum here and HRMS also provides very good support.  So if you are inclined that way, go for it.  The Majestic set has been the starting point for many too.

Now 2 sites you need to explore before going further.  The first one is Brian Lambert, google him and go to his excellent and extensive DCC pages.  One thing you'll find is the specification for 8-pin and 21-pin connectors which are just 2 different types of DCC connectors, nothing special about either.  8-pin is more common for Hornby locos.

The second site is Hornbyguide.com.  Here you can look up the details for all your existing locos, all of which you will be able to convert.  Although one type of ringfield motor configuration is more difficult than others.  The Guide will tell you if you have any and Brian Lambert has all the conversion details.

So do some research as suggested, and enjoy.

In response to your initial question (one of them) about pin numbers.

the 8 pin socket gives you track pick-up to the decoder (red and black), motor feed from the decoder (orange and grey), a common positive (blue) and some switched negatives - white for front lights, yellow for rear lights both on F0, green for F1, say cab lights or on-board decoupler or fire box flicker and purple F2 for something else.

Even though a loco has an 8 pin socket installed claiming to be DCC ready, you may find only the track and motor wires connected, so if you want to fit lights or other accessories you will have to get the soldering iron out.

the 21 pin socket gives you all these plus other function colours/connections including speaker/s Should you install a 21 pin sound decoder.

adapters are available to convert 21/8 either way in the event your loco has the 'wrong' socket for your decoder. E.g. Hornby Sapphire is a 21 pin decoder supplied with a harness that has an 8 pin plug.

new sockets are in course of introduction such as next18 and plux22 offering better and future proof connection ( supposedly).

Hi, 

thanks for the great responses. After doing some thinking and planning, I've decided to start over with N guage. Mainly because i want to have a fairly complicated layout, and the space I have doesn't allow me to do that with OO guage. Essentially I can fit more in on in N guage in the same space than I can with OO guage.

thanks for the explanation about the chips. I couldn't understand why they would be different. I noticed some of the Bachmann models had 6 and 12 pin sockets. I imagine that's much the same as hornby.

do a lot of DCC models come fitted with lights and such? 

ILT, you can still use RM and eLink with N-Gauge. Decoders are another matter, you will need to see what is suitable for the locos you get.

For track, you might like to check out Peco, Kato and Tomix, that latter two being Japanese and having enormous ranges incl locos etc.  Then of course, there are a few Hornby, Graham Farish and US makes.

Archived