Multiple levels on track plan

The layout that I'm designing has an elevated section that crosses over other parts of the layout, and I'm having difficulty in showing this correctly on the track schematic. When two track elements occupy the same square on the diagram, I can't find any way of controlling which appears on top of the other. During the design process the second element to be placed in a box appears on top of the first one, as one might expect, but when the diagram is saved the layering on the main screen seems to be random. It doesn't affect the functionality, but it looks a bit odd because the high level track appears to weave over and under the base level. Is there any way of controlling the layering?

Regards, John

Gradients on most layouts are a nightmare, because modern loco's do not climb them very well. A lot of these older layout plans were drawn up for when loco's had magnadhesion.Plus, putting a curve into a gradient effectively doubles the angle of climb.

Unless you have a very big baseboard, with something like a 5 mtr straight run, forget it.

That's interesting, 2e0. I have in fact up mocked up the gradient, which is 2.5 metres long including a 90 degree 2nd radius curve, rising 80mm to a high level shunting yard. All 3 of my locos can pull or push 4 carriages or 9 wagons up the slope quite happily, although I'm only using low speeds. I did initially try a shorter incline (Hornby mention 80mm in 1.34 metres or preferably 1.68 metres for their inclined pier set) but that did cause slippage. I did wonder if pushing a lot of wagons up the slope might cause derailments, but it seems OK. I'm not going to fix anything down for a long time yet, so plenty of time to experiment. Just juggling it to fit a reverse loop in as well at the moment (for which I gather I will need a 4amp power supply for my eLink).

Regards, John

As you are using e-link, that tells me you are using DCC. So you will need a reversing module as well! There is plenty on the DCC threads about how to wire them up.  For that, you will need the 4 amp supply, it has been found to be unreliable on the one amp one.

Archived