Bachmann 36-553 Decoder and Select DCC

newcastle62

Hi

I have recently purchased Heljan Class 26 Locomotive from a reputable source on eBay. it has a Bachmann 36-553 decoder installed and it comes with lights and sound.

I have a DCC Select controller.

When it came to programming the loco I placed it on my programming track and it immediately went throught it's repertoire of start up sounds etc., the lights did not come on and it did would not move. I then attempted the normal address programming activity and from that point on there was nothing no lights, sound or movement.

I tried programming it several times but nothing happened apart from the tiniest "ping" when the programming cycle has been completed. 

I have reprogrammed the address on other locos which have Hornby decoders and they are fine. The programming track is brand new and is clean as are the wheels of the loco.

Any ideas about what is wrong? 

Thanks in advance

The fundamental problem you have is that the Select isn't NMRA compliant, only guaranteed to work with Hornby decoders and having known problems with Bachmann decoders.

You might do a search here to find at least one thread suggesting a simple mod to the Select that some say makes it compliant, otherwise replace the decoder or the Select are less desirable options.

It has a Bachmann 36-553 decoder installed and it comes with lights and sound.

Very strange. I've looked up the 36-553 it appears to be a budget (around £15) DCC decoder without sound. Logically therefore, if your model is a Bachmann factory sound loco, then I would expect it to either (coming from Bachmann) have a Loksound or SoundTraxx decoder.

Anyway that aside for the present. The Select isn't 100% compliant with the NMRA standard. There are many reports of some non Hornby DCC decoders not being compatible with the Select. Assuming that the operation and configuration processes you are deploying are correct, then the probability is that the decoder in your Bachmann loco falls into the incompatible with Select group of decoders.

EDIT: The simple mod that Fishmanoz refers to, is to fit ONE of these in series (not in parallel) with the output of the Select. No guarantee that it will work, but at that price band worth a punt.

100uH-3A-Prewound-Ferrite-Choke

PS - The link above is just an example. Source a product with the same specification from the supplier and country of your choice.

It has a Bachmann 36-553 decoder installed and it comes with lights and sound.

Very strange. I've looked up the 36-553 it appears to be a budget (around £15) DCC decoder without sound. Logically therefore, if your model is a Bachmann factory sound loco, then I would expect it to either (coming from Bachmann) have a Loksound or SoundTraxx decoder.

Anyway that aside for the present. The Select isn't 100% compliant with the NMRA standard. There are many reports of some non Hornby DCC decoders not being compatible with the Select. Assuming that the operation and configuration processes you are deploying are correct, then the probability is that the decoder in your Bachmann loco falls into the incompatible with Select group of decoders.

Thank you both for your answers.

I guess that this is one of the problems of buying things on eBay. I asked the seller before I started bidding if the loco decoder would work with Select and he said he wasn't sure but it probably would. I wanted the loco because it is beautifully weathered and that being the case I paid a significant but not outrageous amount of money for it.

Judging by your responses it seems to me that installing a Hornby decoder will be the best way to bring this saga to an end. I have fitted several before and so no problems there.

Thanks for your help most appreciated.

Newcastle, a suggestion for you - please ignore that blue Reply button in people's posts, it's frankly a menace, and scroll to the bottom of the page and type your response in the big box there with the green reply button.

If your loco has a genuine sound decoder in it. Then fitting a Hornby non sound decoder will lose the sound feature.

Hi

If the loco has sound it certainly is not fitted with a Bachmann decoder 36-553 or any other number! Unless it has two decoders fitted - one for motor control and another for sounds. Unlikely and an expensive option!

Bachmann sound locos from the factory are fitted with ESU LokSound V3.5 or V4 sound decoders or possibly a Soundtraxx as stated by Chris.

What address number does the loco move off on with the Select?

What firmware version of the Select is installed?    This is shown in the start up sequence e.g.13- 30-03 where the first two digits are the firmware version.  Version 1.5 is the latest and offers all 28 function numbers plus some other features and is supposed to make the Select more compatible. So this would show 15-30-03. Unfortunately the upgrade an only be carried out by Hornby who charge a small fee for this (£15.00 was the last figure I know of) Contact Hornby Customer Care to arrange to return it with a returns number etc. 

Hi All,

First of all thank you Fishmanoz for the Green Button Reply tip - will do!

The eBay person that I have bought this off has inserted paperwork in the box for a 36-553 decoder and from what people are saying it looks like it is not.  

Flashbang I'll have a look at the Select, decoder etc. tonight. For the record the Loco has not moved 1mm under its own steam since I received it. Only the sound worked for about 2 minutes but without the Loco moving.

Thanks again

It's possible the loco was pre-programmed with an i/d that is outside the range that the Select can cope with, therefore it will not accept a new code.

If Newcastle knows someone with an Elite or other higher spec controller, he could try resetting the loco to a low number that the Select will work.

2e0dtoeric

I'm afraid that I do not know anyone with an Elite but I now have 9 locomotives and so close to the limit that the Select can handle.

The eBay person has informed that the decoder works with the "ez command dynamis"and that is has a 4 figure running number.

Does this help to find the root of  the problem?

Thanks

Well 2e0 was onto it and now you have confirmed your problem.  Loco IDs come in 2 formats - short or 2 digit; and long or 4.  You've just told us your decoder is set to a long 4-digit ID which is certainly outside the Select range.  It only does 2-digit between 1 and 59.

To get back to a 2-digit ID the Select can handle can only be done with features not available in the Select.  You either have to reset it to default by writing 8 to CV8, or adjusting CV29 for short IDs.  I won't explain these further given you can't do them anyway.

I think you have 2 choices - you either buy a new preferably Hornby decoder for it, or you find a shop, or club, or some such with a controller that can do the resetting for you.  Once you do one of these, it will work fine on the default 03 address first up, then you can change it to another in the Select range.

PS.  From what others have said, I'm discounting that it has a sound decoder in it and you can replace the Bachmann with a stock standard Hornby R8429, if you wish.

/media/tinymce_upload/f66e19721d53356097ac65a8db163bc6.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/5d6538ec3100b10b7f3772ef33d01369.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/6bb956dd647ee80fd644402c24e34875.JPG Hello everyone I have uploaded pictures of the inside of the loco and hopefully that may help.

My spare decoders are kept in anti-static bags labelled with type, address and any uniqueness like TTS xyz, duff F0 forward output, etc.

Select apparently is non NMRA compliant off load only. On load it is OK. Frustratingly I can't find now where I read this to quote.

Archived