Problem with railmaster

While using Railmaster I get this message.Rail Master can not communicate with with DCC controller. Unplug theUSB cable from Dcc controller and plug it again Inspite of doing this many times I still get the same message

I had no problem using Elink for quite some time!

Thanks

Suriraj

You will no doubt find that some settings in the .ini file need changing. Someone will be along shortly to give you the exact details - in the meantime, I'll have a look for you on here, it is a known issue and there is a fix. R-

Since your eLink has been stable and working for some time, then It's possible the COM port that was previously allocated by Windows for your controller to use has changed.

You can see what COM port (ideally should be COM4 or less) RM is using by looking in the System Settings Window. Then compare that to what is showing in Windows Device Manager. If they are not the same COM port number then RM cannot communicate to the controller. The Com port allocation can sometimes change if you stop using the same USB port for your controller and plug it in a different USB port. Preferably use a USB 2.0 port rather than a USB 3.0 one as well.

To open Windows 'Device Manager' type the word 'Device' in the Windows Start menu search box and 'Device Manager' should then be found and listed.

Note: Device Manager (DM) in default mode will only list devices that are attached to the PC so make sure the eLink is connected when looking in the DM device tree. Then in the DM tree look within the "Ports (Com & LPT)" branch. If DM is showing COM 4 or less, then change the COM port in RM to match if it isn't matching. If the DM is showing Com 5 or above, change it to 4 or less in DM first, before making changes to RM.

If this is not your issue, then report back here for further instruction.

I thought this might be to do with the .ini files settings? As in-

-----------------------

For Elite users using Windows 8 and above (ONLY IF YOU ARE HAVING COMMUNICATIONS PROBLEMS):-

Ensure the lines "Alternative comms=1" and "Check controller=0" are in the RailMaster.ini file

-----------------------

Taken from the Railmaster: Setting Up and Getting Started locked thread.

Do you know how to easily get to the .ini file Suriraj?

R-

I get the same thing from time to time. Mine is solved by turning off mains. Then fire up laptop, and when Hard drive stops whizzing round, eg light is stable, turn on Elite. Then  Click on Railmaster. Works for me. john

I thought this might be to do with the .ini files settings?

It might be Roger, but Suriraj stated "I had no problem using eLink for quite some time!" one would have expected the documented .INI issue to have had an adverse affect for all of that previous time as well. Suriraj is inferring (based purely on the way he has phrased his question) that some event has happened recently to change his stable connection to a non stable connection.

One thing Suriraj didn't say was whether the communication error is still present after a complete PC reboot and restart. It may be just a case of not following John's recommended start up procedure, that is also documented in the same post you have highlighted in your reply (a summary of which, John has put in his reply directly above this one).

You will no doubt find that some settings in the .ini file need changing. Someone will be along shortly to give you the exact details - in the meantime, I'll have a look for you on here, it is a known issue and there is a fix. R-

Thanks Roger

Suriraj

Since your eLink has been stable and working for some time, then It's possible the COM port that was previously allocated by Windows for your controller to use has changed.

You can see what COM port (ideally should be COM4 or less) RM is using by looking in the System Settings Window. Then compare that to what is showing in Windows Device Manager. If they are not the same COM port number then RM cannot communicate to the controller. The Com port allocation can sometimes change if you stop using the same USB port for your controller and plug it in a different USB port. Preferably use a USB 2.0 port rather than a USB 3.0 one as well.

To open Windows 'Device Manager' type the word 'Device' in the Windows Start menu search box and 'Device Manager' should then be found and listed.

Note: Device Manager (DM) in default mode will only list devices that are attached to the PC so make sure the eLink is connected when looking in the DM device tree. Then in the DM tree look within the "Ports (Com & LPT)" branch. If DM is showing COM 4 or less, then change the COM port in RM to match if it isn't matching. If the DM is showing Com 5 or above, change it to 4 or less in DM first, before making changes to RM.

Thanks Chris for your prompt response. I realised when I reinserted the USB I put in a different port..Now it is working fine. I think I should tape the adjacent port!

Suriraj

Suriraj,

Glad I picked the correct solution for you at first attempt. Mind you, if the eLink RM / driver interface was more robust, it shouldn't (in an ideal world) make any difference what USB you had the eLink plugged into. RM should just search and find it.  I'm afraid that it is just a fact of life that RM seems to prefer consistency with regard to what USB port is used. I would imagine the limitation is because the Com port is manually specified in the RM System Settings.

Just as an aside. Not a criticism, just a trying to offer helpful advice. It might be better if you refrained from using the 'Blue Arrow Quote' button that is embedded within each individual reply. That is NOT a 'Click this to Reply' button. It duplicates all the reply text in a yellow box. The correct reply procedure is to scroll down to the bottom of the page and write your reply in the great big empty 'Reply' text box and click the Green 'Reply' button. As per the method by which this reply has been done.

When you find your coat Rog, check the outside pockets, you'll probably find a scrap of paper with a shopping list in one of them.  Check it to make sure those last 2 items you have to buy have been added to the initial (.ini) list.  And remember those last 2 items change depending on what you are able to buy from the original list.

Archived