Reverse loop module with eLink

I've just added a reverse loop with Hornby RLM to my track, and, forewarned by earlier posts on this forum, I also bought a 4amp power supply since people said they found that this was needed for an RLM with eLink to avoid a short circuit trip in the eLink controller. It all works fine, but out of interest I tried it on my 1amp power supply and it works perfectly well with that too! So anyone adding a Hornby RLM might like to try it on 1amp before splashing out on a 4amp supply (which I thought when I ordered it was quite expensive, but it turns out to be a seriously heavy transformer). It will no doubt come into its own as my layout grows.

Regards, John

The reason may be similar to the Select overload protection, but I can't say for sure.

so that the Select can use a 4 amp power unit it is set internally to protect at this level. When using the 1 amp supply an overload is dealt with by the supply unit sensing a problem and cutting the voltage Essentially to protect itself not the Select.

how this relates exactly to the elink and RM i dont know, but i presume rightly or wrongly it is along much the same lines.

this could explain the need for the 4 amp unit when using the RLM as the lesser supply protection method shouldn't  support the RLM sensing method, but maybe the RLM is reacting faster than the latent voltage drop in the PSU.

Archived