Class 91 DCC Conversion

www.mixturesweb.com

Hey Guys

I'm a little stumped.  I've tried installing a DCC decoder into a Hornby Intercity 91 (R269 I think) but I cannot get the thing to work for love nor money.  Does someone have a set of instructions on how to chip this loco so I can check I have carried out all the steps correctly?

The steps I have followed have been included in this video (

) but I haven't put any extra pickups in.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

There is an article (number 6) on the web site linked to in my signature where input extra pickups into an early class 90 Which be of help.

can you tell us exactly what you did to install the decoder, which wires to where, etc, even a diagram if possible - it only needs to be hand drawn and we may be able to help further.

Hi

Assuming your loco is this one...http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/21/  scroll down to the Class 91 .PDF file.

then proceed as follows...

Remove the two wires from each side of the motors brush strip ensuring you keep them in their pairs.  Remove the capacitor it's no longer needed.  Make in line joints with the two wires removed from the left side of the motor to the decoders Black wire. Do the same with the two wires removed from the right side connecting them to the decoders Red wire. Cover all soldered in line joints with insulating tape or better is to use heat shrink tubing slid onto to the wire before soldering together, then once soldered and cooled slide it down over the joint and shrink down with the soldering irons hot element (not the tip). 

Now connect the decoder Orange and Grey wires to the tops of the two motor brush strips where the capacitor and wires were removed from.

Tidy all wiring and locate decoder so as it cant touch anything.

Place loco onto programming track and set address to something other than 3.

Assuming all is ok, test loco on main tracks.  If loco runs opposite to the DCC system direction of travel swap around the Orange and Grey motor wires. Refit body once all is proved correct.

Edit to correct typos!

I was less than impressed with the method of isolating the motor brush on that video. Bit of a bodge in my opinion. From memory I used the simpler but equally effective nylon screw method.

The extra front and rear pickups bogie tricks worked well on my early basic spec Class 90 in conjunction with ditching the traction tyred motor bogie wheels in favour of geared dummy bogie wheels. Mine also has lights and sound and neo magnet and runs really well.

Archived