Elite select 03. Default

Torchy1

Torchy, welcome to the forum.

Locomotive DCC ID address default IS 3 (003)

With an Elite / eLink controller you can reset a loco DCC decoder back to the factory default by writing decimal value 8 to CV 8. You can't do this with a Select controller as the CV 8 writing function is not supported. All three controller models support changing the default 003 loco ID to something else. You just go through the "configuring a loco address" part of the user guide instructions to overwrite any currently existing loco DCC ID. The Select controller is limited to only being able to use loco addresses from 001 to 059 (same as 1 to 59).

Each loco on your DCC layout should be changed from the default 003 (3) address configured in the factory to something different and unique. If you have more than one loco with the same address on the same DCC layout they will all respond together.

So for example, you might have locos configured as 001, 002, 004, 005 etc or 010, 011, 012, 013, 014 etc. Whatever numbering scheme you devise, just try and avoid using 003. Reserve 003 for testing new loco purchases before configuring a new different address in them.

PS - I have made reference to both Elite and Select controllers in my reply, because you have made reference to both terms in your question and it is unclear exactly what controller you are actually using.

EDIT: In light of Michael's reply. If the previous DCC address was nnn and you are referring to this as being the default, then there is (as Michael says) no go back to last setting option. The CV8 reset option will take the decoder back to factory default which is address 003. Just treat the loco as if new and reconfigure your previous nnn address as if doing it for the first time. 

Hi I'm sorry about my post being confusing I hadn't finished.  I had to go out and got logged out.

I have an Elite and I configured Princess Elizabeth to the default address 003. So when I switch on the Elite Princess Elizabeth shows on the screen. What I really want to do is reset the Elite default address back to number 003. Is this possible without reseting the Elite to factory settings. 

Peter

@Torchy1................we don't quite understand what you mean, Peter...........your Elite should show 0003 at startup irrespective of any locos on the track, you always have to pick which control knob to use, 1 or 2, then 'loco' button and type the address of the one you want to use........why don't you change the Princess Elizabeth address to your next free number other than '3'..............the Elite default address is always 0003 and I believe this can't be changed..........HB

Even with the reworded question I am still somewhat confused.

If you are saying I only have one single loco namely the Princeess Elizabeth. This loco is still on it's manufacturer default address of 003 and I want to control it with my Elite using address 003.

Then my reply would be:

As well as the loco manufacturer default address being 003, this is also the default address to which the Elite will power up to. If you then inadvertantly change the address the Elite is controlling to something different such that the Princess Elizabeth is now not responding to the controller. Then to regain control of the loco on address 003 via the Elite.

Press 'Rotary knob 1'.

Press the 'loco' button on the Elite.

Rotate 'Rotary knob 1' until "Address 0003" appears in the display OR just press button 3 on the Elite keypad.

Press 'Rotary knob 1'.

Elite 'Rotary knob 1' is now set back to loco address 003 and control of the Princess Elizabeth on that address will be regained.

Just an observational comment on my part, but if this reply does in fact represent the gist of your question. Then you are not using your Elite DCC controller or your DCC system to it's full potential. You are using it as if it is an Analogue DC system.

Hi Torchy. Do you mean that you have programmed the NAME onto address 3, so that rather than displaying 0003 on startup on the Elite, it shows Princess (or whatever you have put in)? If so, go Loco - Features- (press to confirm when it shows the name)-Name. If you have letters or numbers in the first two spaces, press twice quickly (effectively a double click) to clear the space. Then turn the dial until the line is flashing in the third space. Then press 0. Repeat this for spaces 4 and 5, followed by in space 6.  By pressing either dial down, you will change the name back to default.

Hi Torchy. Do you mean that you have programmed the NAME onto address 3, so that rather than displaying 0003 on startup on the Elite, it shows Princess (or whatever you have put in)? If so, go Loco - Features- (press to confirm when it shows the name)-Name. If you have letters or numbers in the first two spaces, press twice quickly (effectively a double click) to clear the space. Then turn the dial until the line is flashing in the third space. Then press 0. Repeat this for spaces 4 and 5, followed by in space 6.  By pressing either dial down, you will change the name back to default.

Hi ff2nd and many thanks yes that was my problem. Now sorted. Just one more thing as I understand it now having reset 003 to default the next new engine I buy I will be able test it before configuring it to an unused number.

Torchy,

When you used the Elite naming feature such that address 003 was shown on the display as Elizabeth for example. That's all it did, it changed what was being displayed. The address being used was still 003. This is why Elizabeth showed on screen when you first powered up the Elite as 003 is the default address for the Elite to power up to.

Had you put a brand new loco (with default address 003) on the track. The Elite with Elizabeth showing on the display would still have operated it.

The Elite naming feature just allows you to asscoiate a numerical address with a name. It is still the underlying numerical address that is used by the Elite to operate your loco.

Yes, you can test a new loco using the default 003 address before making ANY configuration changes. This is in fact a wise move to do, as if all is well on the default address and then something is not right after making changes then you know it is something you have done. If all is not well on the default address straight out of the box, then there is something not right with the loco as supplied by the seller.

Archived