Handheld on 7 inch tablet display problems

The Railmaster HandHeld display is fine on my Android smartphone. However, on my (and my wife's) Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 tablets (7 inch visible screen) when in landscape orientation the screen has a loco control left-hand side, about 30% of screen width, and the remainder of the screen shows the track plan. If I then turn the tablet to portrait it shows only the track plan. Unlike on my smartphone, the tablet does not show the buttons to toggle between loco control and track plan. Also, the loco selection drop down menu covers 50% of the top two function buttons. I have tried this on Chrome 35 with the same result. When using the HH on a tablet I have no interest in seeing a track plan and would like just the loco control to occupy the screen.

Has anybody else experienced similar issues on a Samsung, or any other, tablet? Does anybody know of a fix for the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello again Keith, I see that you took my advice and posted a fresh issue topic. But unfortunately not yet has it generated any interest from the forum members.

Plan B,

I now suggest that you use the inbuilt reporting feature within RailMaster (see RM 'Help Window') to send a 'Report' of your issue directly to HRMS (Hornby RailMaster Support). HRMS are not HCC (Hornby Customer Care). HRMS are a sub-contractor contracted by Hornby to write and support the Hornby brand software. It would have been HRMS that produced the Android APP.

If your RM PC returns an error message using that feature, then the direct HRMS e-mail address (they do not have a telephone number) is support@rail-master.com

Using the inbuilt contact form is better because it sends logs and other technical information about your RM installation along with the mailed query text. You should get an 'automated message received' confirmation in your registered e-mail account within a few minutes. If you don't, then use the manual external mail address given above instead.

Hi Chris, Thanks for more good advice. I planned to do as you suggest but wasn't sure how long to leave it before doing so. I'll contact support tomorrow and I'll report back here if/when they respond - whatever I learn might be of use to others. Thanks again. Keith

Railmaster support replied as follows:

"Different-sized devices work in a different way.  Small devices like phones and iPods will show a full-screen controller in portait mode and full screen plan in landscape.  Medium-sized devices, having larger screens, will show a controller and part of your plan and turning it to portrait will show the plan full-screen.  Just turn it back to landscape to show the controller and part of the track plan.  Large devices work in a similar way except that they show two loco controllers in landscape mode.  This is all normal."

I have reported back that this does not address the issue whereby the loco selection drop-down menu obscures function buttons.

It seems to me, also, that when using a tablet with a 7 inch screen it would be preferabe to have a full-screen loco controller when in portrait orientation and the track plan only in landscape, as per a 'small' device such as smartphone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to round this thread off ...

Railmaster support insist that the issues I experience with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 are down to the tablet, not the software. They do not have this model of tablet to try for themselves. I have tried on my own and my wife's tablet (identical models) with the same results. I was advied to try with the Maxthon browser but this fails (or makes no attempt) to connect with the Railmaster server on either tablet.

If anybody has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and could experiment to see how they get on using it as a handheld, I would be very interested to hear (as would Railmaster support, I'm sure!)

Archived