Hornby Elite Firmware Update

centraltrains

Hi,

I am trying to update the firmware on my Hornby Elite. I connect it into the computer, the windows diolouge which automaticllay installs drivers dosen't come up...

I am running on Windows 10 so I imagin its to do with that. It will work on the other Win7 PC but I refuse to do the update on the Win7 machine. Win10 is the latest and in my computing experaince the greatest; so there is no excuse for it to not work... (Grrr Hornby!)

@centraltrains

It's a known problem and they are working on it and when its ready we will get it.

Getting grumpy about it probably wont make one iota of difference to the Hornby program to release a fix.

As you have Win7 which will allow an update and you refuse to use it is cutting off your nose to spite your face in my opinion as you cannot use your controller in the meantime if as you say you have tried and failed with Win 10 and ended up with a bricked Elite.

@centraltrains

It's a known problem and they are working on it and when its ready we will get it.

Getting grumpy about it probably wont make one iota of difference to the Hornby program to release a fix.

As you have Win7 which will allow an update and you refuse to use it is cutting off your nose to spite your face in my opinion as you cannot use your controller in the meantime if as you say you have tried and failed with Win 10 and ended up with a bricked Elite.

I gave in and did it on the Win 7 as soon as I read it would 'brick' it. 

I woule challenge that the more people getting grumpy the more likly the right Hornby department would read it and fix it.

I am sure everyone has had new products; found a feature won't work and get quite anxious about it.

Anyway moving on; with walkabout do you know how I can get the select to control a train? I have put my elite in classic mode and they won't work. The method I am working (which I think is wrong) is to just type loco address on keypad, press select. But it just continues to flash. I have 2 Hornby Selects, one on version 1.1 and one on 1.4. Maybe if I sen't them off to be upgraded to 1.5 it would help?  😀

Assuming you have the correct Walkabout cable for a start, your Elite should be in Standard Mode, not Classic, any firmware version of the Select will do, and you will only be able to control locos in the address range 001 to 059.  If you've programmed them outside that range with Elite, only the Elite will control them.  Then just follow the Select instructions on selecting and controlling locos.

More generally, all Select usual limitations apply in Walkabout mode.

GLad to hear you have updated the Elite OK on Win7.

The main advantage of updating the Select to v1.5 is that it then supports the full range of sound functions, great if you have sound locos but no great advantage if you do not.

Fishy has covered your other questions.

...and it worked fine on a hi-spec Win 10 HP laptop at the first attempt.

Nor did it need any other drivers.

Confirmation that it also works on previously problem make machines would be icing on the cake.

Archived