Linux Support?

My Railmaster PC recently updated itself to Windows 10. As windows 10 makes the laptop into a glorified mobile phone, I cannot get on with the new operating system. I want to know if I could run railmaster on a Linux system, as I am not keen on Microsoft's new direction. 

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

XYZ

As RAF96 says you can revert to your earlier Windows version though I believe you need to do it within a month of the update. You also need to stop it updating again. There is advice on the net on how to do this - the first I came across was http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

If you really insist on going over to Linux, may be worth investigating whether WINE (Windows Emulator) in Linux will run Railmaster. However, I would strongly advise testing it on a different machine or at the very least dual booting your laptop  as I have no idea whether it would work (my gut feeling is that it would not) in order to avoid ending up with no OS at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

It will not work under WINE.The only way I've managed to get it to work was by installing Virtualbox and loading Windows XP within virtualbox then installing Railmaster in Windows XP.

You also need to load guest additions to allow the USB ports to go through Linux OS into the Windows XP virtual machine.It did work quite well doing it that way.Cheers

Ian

@ModelerXYZ

The way to get back to Windows 7 or 8/8.1 from Windows 10 is simple. Go to 'Settings' and then 'Update and Security'. Click on 'Recovery' and then Go back to Windows 'your operating system'. You have 30 days from the date it was installed and that's it. It will take around 10 minutes or so on a fast PC or a few minutes more if slower or if the drive is stuffed up a little.

If you want to remain with your original OS and NOT have the Get Windows 10 update reinstalled then go to 'Windows Update' and select the option for 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'.

When you check the list of updates found each month just simply look for this one: KB3035583 and right click it and choose the option to hide it. This will stop the update and stop you being offered the upgrade.

You may have to do this more than once but it's a small price to pay each time you check the updates. After July 31 this year (a few weeks away) you won't get the same offer anyway as you will need to pay for Windows after that date. If you DO choose to install Windows 10, even up to the final day, you will still have 30 days from that date to uninstall it and return to Windows 'your OS'. No files, programs or whatever else of your own are lost during the roll back. I've done this procedure for many clients of mine and it has never failed.

Linux? Nice OS but a tad over the top for a freebie.

Hope the above helps...

Archived