intercity lights on dcc

andel1

DCC accessories work by having a common positive input and the chip 'grounding' or connecting to 0 volts, whichever output is chosen.

I am converting an HST for a colleague at the monent so this is what I am doing. You will need two decoders, one for the motor car and one for the dummy car. I've used pre-wired sockets for the decoders which can be obtained from e-bay for £2.50 each. Locate the socket in the car in a suitable space and then trim the blue wire (+ve input) to the right length and solder to the tab marked 'C'. Assuming the motor car is the 'front' of the train, solder the white wire (Forward) to the 'B' tab and the yellow wire (reverse) to the 'A' tab. Once you are happy, tidy up the wiring (I cut off the unused wires from the socket), stick down the socket and use double sided tape to attach the light boards to the front of the cab insert (replacing the original light). When you do the dummy coach you need to swap the white and yellow wires (white to tab A and yellow to tab 'B') so the lights at the front and back are always different (white  at front and red at back and vice versa). Insert the DCC chip and locate it where you have decided. Program the chips in both cars to the same number. Now on my select by hitting the function button the lights come on and by pressing the forward and reverse buttons they change. Function button turns them off again.

@andel1

Check out my own link here for EXACT instructions and pictures via a PDF file as to how to wire these up.

If you have the slightly newer versions of the sets the wiring will almost certainly be very similar and only minor changes made....

Anyway... have a look and see if it helps.

http://octaviancs.com/hornby125/Fit4FDecandPCBtoHornby125.pdf

I presume this is an old class 43?

The current ones (such as the recently released FGW class 43) has headlights/taillights fitted as standard in both the power car and the dummy car and for DCC use each car requires a DCC decoder.

Archived