Elite Controller button issue

GreyWolf

Howdy folks,

Long time reader, first time poster :) 

Yesterday I received my shipment of the Hornby DCC Elite Controller and was thrilled to unpack it. I read the instruction booklet prior to plugging it in, but now I seem to have an issue and I fear something may be defect, specifically I think the number 1 rotary knob button doesn’t work. Here are the issues I am running in to:

Example 1

• I press LOCO
  • Select controller 1
  • Select my train number
  • Press controller 2 to confirm (pressing controller 1 does nothing)
  • Selected train appears on controller one
  • When I turn the controller 1 knob the train moves
  • When I stop the train and press the knob to change direction nothing happens (unable to change direction)

Example 2

• If I set a train on controller 1 like above, and then set a new train on controller 2, I am unable to press knob 1 to go back to the train I have set on controller 1

FYI:

• Pressing the knob on controller 2 allows me to change direction no problem
  • I have not updated firmware or tampered in any way with the device
  • I have the track cables plugged in to track cables
  • Tracks are clean, the above happens regardless of train I select
  • I am using the controller directly, no software or PC involved

I sent an email to hornby customer service as I anticipate the device may be defect. Anyone else come across this issue, or have any ideas on fixing it?

Thanks!

Grey

Agree it's defective.  And emailing HCC typically leaves you with a long wait.  To contact them, best to ring on the contact number on the bottom of this site.

But your first port of call is your supplier.  If not Hornby, contact them about return for replacement under warranty.

@GreyWolf

Welcome to our Forum.

In your example 1, you describe selecting LOCO first.  You should press Controller 1 first, then LOCO, then enter your train number, then Press Controller 1 again to select the Train.

What happens if you do that?

Remember it is the sellers responsibilty to replace defective goods (and it should be replaced if you have just received it), not the manufacturer, so other than for clarification, no point in contacting Hornby, unless you bought it from them.

You should press Controller 1 first, then LOCO, then enter your train number, then Press Controller 1 again to select the Train.

@ Greywolf

In order to test this make sure that the numeral "1" is showing in the top right-hand corner of the screen before you select the ID number. Do this by pressing the number 1 controller button before you press loco. The method you are using, which is the other way around, will always set the loco address up on the last controller button used for this purpose. R-

2 things:

1. when you press knob 1 to reverse does the screen change (i.e. arrow swaps side to side).

2. prise the knob off, it has no securing method, just friction and try pressing the spindle directly as it may be the knob restricting spindle movement.

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all the replies and sorry for my delay.

@RDS: 

In your example 1, you describe selecting LOCO first.  You should press Controller 1 first, then LOCO, then enter your train number, then Press Controller 1 again to select the Train.

Nothing happens when I press Controller 1. When I then press loco, I can turn either knob to select a train, however I can only press controller 2 to confirm the selection.

When I have a train on controller 1 I can only go one way. When I press the knob to change direction, nothing happens.

When I have a train on controller 2, I can change directions by pressing the knob.

@RAF96 

2 things:

1. when you press knob 1 to reverse does the screen change (i.e. arrow swaps side to side).

2. prise the knob off, it has no securing method, just friction and try pressing the spindle directly as it may be the knob restricting spindle movement.

1. Negative

2. I will try that - I take it if I do this very carefully it won't void my warranty?

3. update: I haven't prised it off yet, but when I push it down super hard and try to shift it around it suddenly works, but I have to push it down super hard and really "grind" it around to make it work. It appears to be a faulty connection? I ordered it straight from Hornby, and sent them an email already, which as you guys said is taking forever. If I don't hear during this week I'll call them. 

Thanks so much for the ideas and help!

@GW

The knob is an easy straight pull off and doing so should not affect your warranty as you are not exactly dismantling anything, just checking the obvious.

Whilst the knob is removed just make sure the nut that holds the mechanism in place is secure. No need for tools just try with your fingers.

You can then press the spindle to check any difference in operation. From your description it does sound like the knob mechanism may be dodgy.  Spindle rotation should be smooth and quiet in both directions and pressing should produce a positive click.

The knob can then be pressed back on after aligning the knob recess with the flat on the spindle.

Archived