How many Select Walkabouts

RDS

I notice on the DCC section of the Hornby website that it quotes 'Up to 8 ‘Select Walkabout’ units can be connected to the ‘Select’ 

Having operated them for many years, I feel embarrassed at asking such a basic question but on the basis that there is only one xpressnet socket on the Select (and 2 on the Elite), how are they connected?

RDS, this answer should make you even more embarrassed, but its in the Select manual pages 20, 22 & 23

See below:

/media/tinymce_upload/e474ad6e961579ff651e13faa58cb2c5.jpg

A combination of R8266 cables and R8237 splitters. The graphic above shows five plus master, but the text on the previous page 20 states seven plus master giving eight in total.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/hornby-digital-rj12-connecting-socket.html?___SID=U

The text on the linked page above for the R8237 has not been updated as it specifies the R8236 cable. The graphic above is correct, it shows the R8266 cable. The R8266 cable superseded the R8236 for walkabout use. For seven attached walkabouts you would need six R8237 splitters. The number of R8266 cables you will need would depend upon how you distributed the Walkabouts around the layout as some R8237s could be connected directly together without using an R8266 to link them. The link below is for the R8266 cable.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/rj12-select-elite-to-walkabout-select-lead.html

The reference to 8 Walkabouts mentioned in the DCC section (I did look for and find that reference) is probably a typo. I would go with the 7 + Master Selects documented in the manual.

PS - the graphic is pasted from the Select version 1.5 manual.

Just bumping the post for benefit of RDS, as looking at the post edit timings you (he) may not have seen my later edited additions.

7 sounds like a weird number to me.  Why not, if you start with the 5 diagram, put 3 more splitters down the 3 single legs and end up with 8 plus the master?

Yes, I realise there may be an issue with matching impedance/current capability from the master, you can after all run only 3-4 Locos at once with the supplied 1 Amp.  Then such a multi-Select arrangement probably needs 4 anyway, given you'd only do it if you wanted to run a loco on each of them apart from any running accessories.  And you'd need an octopus to operate them all at once.

Highly impractical methinks at more than a couple of walkabouts.  Personally, if I had 8 Selects, they'd all be in my bottom drawer.  Even that many stacked together wouldn't stop a door from swinging in anything but a very light breeze (see previous joke about greater flexibility if they were heavier enough to replace a brick as a doorstop, sorry).

Hi Fishy

Yes, I think we know by now your views on the Select but I have 4 concentric loops and I would therefore only consider 3 Walkabouts so that 4 of my Grandchildren can each control a Train on their own loop.  In my case, I have no intention of them operating points, so the only thing I need is the rotary knob and a forward and reverse switch.  I will choose the Trains they control (probably within the Thomas Range) and they will all have addresses within the Select address capability.

Wanted: 2 Select Controllers.

7 sounds like a weird number to me.

I agree. However, this seven max figure seems to be consistent in the Hornby Select manuals. I checked the V1.5 manual, the V1.4 manual and the pre V1.4 manual. Seven max plus the Master is stated in all of them. The only rational reason I can think of for not rounding it up to eight is what Fishy eluded to, the effect of having multiple Selects in parallel across the ExpressNet signal (probably less likely) in conjunction with the additional power load each additional Select will have on the Master Select power supply (probably more likely).

If there were eight Walkabouts + Master, then that would equate to nine locos potentially being controlled simultaneously. On the basis of the 4 amp PSU supporting 10 locos, then that would leave the power left over equivalent to one loco to power all the Selects. This may not be enough. With seven Walkabouts plus Master then there is the equivalent power of two locos to run the Selects. This is probably what Hornby's calculations are based upon. Hornby would also most likely take into account any potential Accessory Decoder loading on the PSU into consideration too.

Good idea and use for Selects RDS.  I'd been thinking RM on the touchscreen, or maybe handheld for my Thomas operation for the grandkids.  My 2 yr old has been using his own iPad for ages now so could avoid buying more hardware, even a Walkabout cable for that bottom drawer item of mine.

Archived