Class 101 DMU - jerky starting

Britannia Builder

I've just bought an R2697 class 101 3-car DMU on eBay, advertised as new and with DCC decoder fitted, from a model shop seller who has been offering quite a lot of this sort of thing recently (ie brand new non-current models with decoders fitted). It certainly looks new and generally runs very smoothly, but when starting off it often (but not always) gives an annoying jolt and then a momentary pause before accelerating smoothly away. When it stops it sometimes also gives a little jolt after it has come to rest.

I've checked the CV values and the decoder manufacturer ID is 151, ESU, and the version is 88, 'Bachmann factory fitted 4 function'. CV 10, the EMF cutoff, is shown as 0 - I tried setting it to 128 but it reset itself to 0, so perhaps it doesn't support EMF feedback.

Is this likely to be a decoder issue that might be solved by fitting a different type, or perhaps the motor needs running in, or could it be a faulty motor?

Regards, John

Thanks HFM.  I checked cv49 and it was set to 1 (back emf control on). Cvs 54 and 55 were 32 and 24 and I tried them both on 127 (I found another website that suggested this) but it made no obvious difference. I then set cv49 to 0 to disable back emf and it seems to have completely cured the problem! The DMU pulls away perfectly smoothly and cruises steadily at all speeds. Very strange, since I had the impression that back emf control was a key benefit. Haven't tried it on my gradient yet, so maybe that will need manual throttle adjustment.

Any ideas why this should be?

Regards, John

Thanks again HFM, interesting to hear what cvs 54 and 55 do. I'm just happy that I seem to have cured the problem by turning off the back emf control, so I'll leave it at that. I might increase cv 3 to give more realistic acceleration - I used to travel to school on these DMUs in the early 60s and I remember how ponderous they were.

Regards, John

Curiosity got the better of me and I reset cv49 to 1 (back emf on) and reduced cv54 from default 32 to 12, and increased cv55 from 24 to 60, and this also cures the jerkiness while still giving a constant speed on gradients. Apparently as HFM says the default settings are suitable for heavier motors with more momentum. The only downside I've noticed is a slight buzz from the motor for a second or so when starting and stopping.

Regards, John

Archived