Eliink still won't work even though it has been designated OK

Help!!!  We have spent days trying to get one of our two Elinks working. The first Elink works absolutely fine and always has done. The second is trouble. We have sent it back to Hornby twice and on each occasion they say it is working fine.

So here's our question...  If we substitute Elink B for Elink A using EXACTLY the same set up - i.e. cables, power, signal transformer - just unplug one and insert the other box - it doesn't work! We have also tried Elink B from scratch i.e. rebooting PC etc in many different ways and still no go.

I can only draw one conclusion that there are different internal iterations of Elink. (Elink B is slightly older). Whilst the later Elink is happy with Windows 7 8 and 10, the earlier one isn't. (We have also tried it with Windows 7 and 8).

What do Hornby use to "test" an Elink I wonder ???

We are stumped and I've had nearly 50 years in I.T.

What are we doing wrong?

Many thanks

How are you trying to use both eLinks?

Please answer this question

Are you using eLink 1 as Controller A in Railmaster AND eLink 2 as controller B in the same Railmaster application?

Please answer this question

If so, controller B in RM is only used to operate DCC accessories. You can't use a Railmaster controller B to perform any programming activities, and I am fairly sure it will not control any locos either as all loco commands are fed through controller A.

When you are setting up the track plan there is an option for each accessory to state controller A OR controller B. To the best of my recollection, there is no equivalent option to nominate an A or B controller in the loco setting screen. Thus loco control defaults to controller A.

And just to be completely clear, you cannot connect two controllers to the same track layout.

It would help us to help you if you were to describe what you are trying to achieve using two controllers.

I am assuming that you are trying to use both eLink controllers concurrently. If the intention was to use only one of them, then the fact that the other one maybe faulty is somewhat irrelevant as you have got one good working eLink to use.

Note also that there are settings in the railmaster.ini file that have to be configured that relate specifically to using a second controller. If these are not set correctly then eLink communication can be affected.

For example for two eLinks you need to ensure that these lines are in your .ini file - add any that are missing:

Check controller=1

Check controller2=1

Alternative comms=1

Alternative comms2=1

The lines with 2=1 in them are for controller B and the lines without the 2=1 are for controller A.

To view and edit your railmaster.ini file. Open the Railmaster 'Help, About' window and look for the little COG icon in the bottom left hand corner. Click that, then follow on screen prompts.

If you hover the cursor over the controller icon in Railmaster (the icon that looks like a cassette tape in the top right hand corner) you should get a popup giving the firmware status of both controller A and controller B. The latest eLink firmware is version 1.5. This controller icon should also be Green and not Greyed out.

What eLink firmware levels are being reported by the controller icon?

I can see your frustration in that one works and the other doesnt even when substituted in place of the good one at all the same settings.

Are both eLinks at the same firmware state or can't you get the dodgy one to a state where you can read it.

If not then try a manual update. I think the method is either in the RM setup or the readme file and the actual update file is in the RM folder..

Opps a correction to my last post. The latest elink firmware version is not V1.5....got mixed up with the Hornby Select. Not sure what the latest eLink firmware is at present. Rob (RAF96) will know.

Looks like another onepost wind-up merchant. best to just ignore it.

That is not helpful at all.  The new member has put forward a perfectly logical and reasoned question to his problem and deserves a better response than that, just like others have done so far.  I hope your post (and this response) are deleted by Admin.

Hi Guys

Mikey99 posted  on the 30/06/16 for me regarding second Elink not working, I wish to give you all the requested answers as follows.

Both Mark Lodge and HRMS are aware that we have 2 eLinks.

Running Railmaster classic mode with R/M Pro pack current version 1.64 on Windows 10

Elink A for control of loco's ( works fine ) Comm 2

Elink B for control of points and signals ( does not work ) Comm 4 ( sent back to Hornby twice no problem found)

1 layout split into 2 districts with a  bus for each  ( buses 1 and 2 ) connected to Elink A  track connections

Bus 3 is a DCC data bus for activating points and signals  (connected to Elink B track connections )

Bus 4 16volt AC ( connected to Merg accessory decoders only )

My F-Secure  Safe is turned completely off prior to turning on both Elinks

Railmaster starts first time and  see's both Elinks listing them both as version 1.07 

ini file adjusted to the following as per Chrisoff' advice ( still will not working )

Alt comms set at =1  and  comms2=1

Check controllers set at =1 and comms2=1

Elink B has failed in Windows 7,8 and 10

Both R/M system settings and Device Manager have the same settings

As mentioned if we just swap the Elinks using the one set of cables and transformer the A Elink changes the points first time every time, if we swap back to B nothing.

Both Elink green lights show 

This has been an ongoing problem for ages

I do hope this helps.

David

One thing I didn't mention is that both the accessory  DCC and  AC buses are getting power.

The DCC from Elink B track connection and the AC from it's own transformer both are live.

I wonder could my problem still be something not set up right in the .ini file ?

Davjan

Just checking: but I assume that in your track plan you have selected Controller B for each and every configured point & signal accessory. i.e right click the accessory icon and choose controller B in the pull down selection box.

see below

/media/tinymce_upload/e0f2624dc5064b727d828ae35b080158.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/b8d7ce5a9c2fe1874a6106672610db4f.jpg

Again just double checking: but I also assume that you have Controller B configured in 'System Settings'.

see below

/media/tinymce_upload/824731090cd02040f5e5bd870602a395.jpg

Now that we are getting intel from the horses mouth (Davjan - David) it seems that if the eLinks are swapped over physically the problem swaps with them confirming in my mind that all the other associated settings are fine and should not be fiddled with, and in my opinion that despite Hornbys no fault found diagnosis that there must be a fault with eLink B, possibly mechanical as opposed to electronically or firmware related.

He says the A eLink changes the points when swapped but not that the B eLink operates locos. Can we please have confirmation that all things that work on the good eLink work/dont work and that all things that dont work on the bad eLink work/dont work when the eLinks are swapped or vice versa whichever is happening.

Such a fault could be as simple as a dodgy connection on the B circuit, but as this is a repetitive fault only for the B elink, the chance of perpetuating such a dodgy connection is very slim, unless say the terminal spring clamps on this eLink are faulty or there is an associated connection fault.

I would be closely examining the B eLink mechanical connectors for a problem.

I have no real idea what the bus architecture is with so many bus nor what an F Secure Safe is.

"F Secure Safe" is the OPs Anti-Virus software. Not one I've heard of before today.

The OP did say he was getting DCC AC voltage on the output track terminals of eLink B

Here is another suggestion to prove if the B eLink has any sensible output.

Connect it directly to a known good accessory decoder and point motor away from any bus and see if the motor responds.

Also ensure the eLink baud rate is at 115200.

Here is another suggestion to prove if the B eLink has any sensible output.

Connect it directly to a known good accessory decoder and point motor away from any bus and see if the motor responds.

Also ensure the eLink baud rate is at 115200.

Hi Guys

I am most grateful for your help both Chris and Ray.

The info you gave me helped to get both loco's and turnouts working.

I was unaware that I had to change the .ini file to allow setup for running both controllers A and B as mentioned earlier I updated the file but still no point operation although thanks to an earlier post I had moved both USB connections from USB3 to USB 2..

Originaly I setup the layout and turnout control using A only some time ago,the problem arose when using a second eLink, so my big mistake was not to change the point settings from A to B when intraducing the second.

Although using a second eLink I have not got round to installing R/M software supplied with it on my laptop as yet.

I have conveyed my apologies to Mark Lodge at Hornby who has been a great help and will also apologies to HMRS who I have confused with some of my requests.

You forum guys who help us older members get to grips with modern IT are great and very selfless.

I have kept in touch by checking your posts over the couple of years but due to a health setback have not posted for some time and had to change my nickname from jug.

Keep up the good work many thanks again.

David

I am most grateful for your help both Chris and Ray.

I assume you meant Chris and RAF (Rob) not Ray. Glad you now have it sorted, and thank you for keeping us appraised of status progress. Not everybody does. It is nice to know when a posted solution has resolved a problem. If only for the benefit of the casual forum member reader.

Archived