Transfer RM track plan

I plan to sell my layout which uses Elink and RM.

I know RM is not transferrable, but if I bought another copy of RM would I be able to transfer my track plan, loco list etc. from my copy of RM to the other copy of RM?

If so, how is it done?

Hattons 5 pound RM deal looks good.

Its all described on Page 132 of the RM 1.64 version manual. This page also lists the files that contain your specific data.

Just copy the files listed onto a memory stick. Then copy the files from the memory stick back into the new version of RM, overwriting and replacing any files with the same name it finds there; resource.mdb for example.

If you have NOT created any RM programs OR loco groups. Then only TWO files need to be transferred:

resource.mdb AND ****.pln

where **** is the name you have given to your track plan.

The files are found in your C:Program Files (x86)Railmaster folder (for 64 bit versions of Windows). Just copy these two files into the same folder on the new RM installation.

Why not sell your layout and keep the eLink and RM and make a new plan for your new layout.

The RM licence is tied to the pc it is on so it would still be valid to your pc and in any case is not transferable to a new owner.

Or is the idea to buy a new copy of RM to help sell  the layout?

Thanks for your, as always, helpful advice.

Yes, the plan is to help sell the layout.

I feel that if I demonstrate the layout as is then it would be easier for a potential buyer, who is not familiar with computer controlled layouts, to understand.

The layout would then be able to be run as seen without having to have anything other than a PC added.

Interesting that Hattons are selling new RailMaster CDs for £5. Given that there have been no RM updates since February, I wonder if Hattons know something about the future of RM, that Hornby are not letting on about i.e discontinuing products cut backs to save money.

Signed pessimistic doom and gloom merchant.....

Probably, just Hattons clearing out old non shifting stock.

Signed the optimistic version of me......

Hattons are clearing out a lot of Hornby eLink trains sets as well, I have purchased a couple for the track and loco. I now use my elink for programming only, it is very useful for that purpose.

I expect Hornby will let us know at some point what is happening?

Chris, I think the point is that an RM CD is only useful on its own to someone who already has an Elite or is intending to buy one.  Otherwise, you will need to by an eLink which comes packaged with RM.

When I bought my RM, there was no such thing as eLink, and an RM licence couldn't be purchased online.  The CD was the only option. So I suspect that since eLink and online purchase, the RM CD market has died and they are getting rid of stock.

But is is very useful if you want to edit programs while sitting in the comfort of an armchair with a laptop, while your syste is run on an old vista PC in the trainroom.

No hassle of having to deactivate etc.

Also useful if I ever want to move RM to another PC as I can test it works without all the deactivation fuss.

And for just a £5 well worth it.

Agreed westernwill.

i have used up my free demo options on all spare machines, so for a fiver I could have a full copy to refer to when answering queries from the forum without having to crank up the train room pc each time.

Archived