How to Update the Elite to V 1.42 using windows 10

Ralphy5

Here is a fool proof procedure to upgrade the Elite to V 1.42, with computers using the Windows 10 Operating System.

If you follow these steps your Elite upgrade to 1.42 should be hassle free !

1/ Turn on Computer and Wait until all hard drives lights have stopped flashing.

2/ Download the “Elite New Updater.V1.42 software” from Hornby website. I suggest you save it to your desktop for easy access later on.

3/ Go to control Panel and open up Device Manager, leave it open.

4/ Hold down the Elite Stop button and power up the Elite, wait 10 seconds and release the stop button.

5/ Plug in the USB from the Elite to a USB 2 port not a USB 3 port and wait 10 seconds.

Left Click on   >   next to the “Ports (Com & LPT)” item

Right Click on the USB Serial Port (?) select “Properties” and Left Click.

Left Click on the “Port Settings” and change it to the 19200 Bits per second option.

If your com port was greater than 4, select “Advance” and change the Port to Less than 5.

6/ Open up the “Elite V1.42 New Updater Folder” you downloaded from Hornby.

Left Click on the “Elite New Updater.V1.42.exe” File.

7/ Select your computer speed option as per Hornby’s recommendation.

( I used Number 2, my computer was a Intel 2.16 GHz running Windows 10).

NB : See Chrissaf’s in depth reply to the post “ New Elite Updater” topic.

Chris has a gift and explains it all to us in very simple terms, so that we can understand.

It took me less than 5 mins to download the software and it auto updates the Elite. However the time to do this procedure would vary on your service provider’s internet speed and your computer type. Also, you may have to double click on the  above folder and exe file depending on your computer click type selection.

eg. Single or double click options which you selected on your own computer’s setup options.

I tested mine with a pre-loaded Win10 HP laptop Intel i7 processor.

I set the Elite into update mode as per normal procedures.

The installer correctly picked the correct COM port (5). I selected pc type 2 and it all took about 5 minutes - no hassle no errors.

Just done mine using Ralph's guide above - also without problem. For interest of anyone contemplating this update I use a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop 1.8 GHz purchased running W8 - updated to W8.1 and then W10.

I went middle for diddle and well (PC type 2).

R-

Thanks guys for the feedback, so I will just reinterate why I suggest you use Com 4 or less as well as some other issues people might find they have.

I spent a week researching the Easiest Way with NO ERRORs for you to install this update. I used 11 Computers all with varying backgrounds, 7 to 8 and 8.1 which were all upgraded to Windows 10. I catalogued the errors I was having and then made up this guide to eliminate them.

Reading a lot of forums the most common mistake is NOT holding the STOP button down for the 15secs initially, which puts the Elite into update mode.

If my above instructions don’t work on your computer, then you may have a faulty USB subsystem on your PC, so make sure you use a USB 2 port to stop these issues. A USB 3 port usually has a blue colour in it, but there are many computers which don’t show this, so check your mother board’s manual for the info, if in doubt. You could also have a faulty Elite or a USB lead. So you should try using a different USB lead, and if it still doesn’t work, try the Elite on any other computer. This will tell you that you have either a faulty Elite or it is your original PC that’s the problem.

You would be surprised the number of times it is the simplest of things that give us all the most frustrating times.

Also there are a number of PCs running Windows 10 that are not 100% compatible with the Windows 10 USB driver ( this has nothing to do with the Elite or for that matter Rail Master. It is a Microsoft Issue).

This issue is noted many times on the Microsoft forum website. I believe Microsoft has tied to address this issue on most of the New Computers with pre-installed windows 10.

So if you have a relatively new fast computer like the i7 then its fine to use com 5.

However most people have older computers which are dedicated in running the Elite and Rail master and they do a decent job. So I feel there is no justification in upgrading your computer at this stage.

I have tried to cover a wide range of computers, and that is why I suggest you use a com port of 4 or less to reduce errors and make your upgrade a no issue affair.

So in summary beware when you have an older computer and are trying to use a com port above 4, as you open the door to the most common errors, which give  IO exception or com error conflicts.

That is why I suggest you use a com port of 4 or less to reduce these errors.

Hope this helps.

R5

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have followed the steps to upgrade my Elite to the latest 1.42 Firmware on y Windows 10 Laptop.

However, at the end of the 1.42 Firmware Download I recieved a Communications error message and now my Elite will not even start as I believe it has no Firmware Installed.

Is there a way to recover from a corrupt or missing firmware?

Or does the Elite unit need to be fully replaced?

Regards

Steve

Steve 

Do not worry, your Elite is recoverable, just try the update again and again if necessary taking note of all the previous advice, especially the button press, cable plug in timings, as these are key to success.

Did the update take a very long or very short time, if so pick a different pc type on the update dialogue screen.

Generally a failure will occurr when the update is fast (less than two minutes) as the data is being passed faster than the Elite can keep pace with.

Taking a very long time often over an hour means you have selected the transfer rate for a much older pc type, but in this case the update usually works, despite the long time.

The ideal match is when the update takes around five minutes.

V1.41 to v1.42 changes...

1. Dummy car programming was OK previously but broken in 1.41, now fixed.

2. Improved compatability with baccy 36-577 decoders.

3. Compatible with Select v1.5, in fact if your Select is at this state then your Elite needs v1.42.

4. Display could corrupt after using Ops mode programming, fixed.

@RAF96

Thanks.  I think I will stick at 1.41 because the closest I get to needing 1.42 is with the Select but mine is still the (very) original version.

Probably a wise move RDS because as previously seen on these forums (forri?) if you go to Elite v1.42 then you need v1.5 on your Select for both to work in accord, although if you 'accidentally' upgrade your Elite you can go to my linked website (see signature) and download any previous Elite firmware state to get back in synch.

The only problem you may see with Select v1.0 is points addressing where address 61 fires address 64 and Elite may need to be in Classic mode.

@RAF96

Apart from extensive use of Programming and the odd Loco movement, my main use of RailMaster is operating my Points, so I have not even attempted to try operating them from the Select, or Elite for that matter.  It seems so easy just to click on the relevant icon from the Screen layout.

If RM is not available because the laptop is switched off, I operate them manually.

Thanks again, very useful information.

RDS, i am with you, still on 1.41. john

Hi John, I have adopted the 'if it ain't broke' stance on this one because I seem to remember a few members having problems and until a change comes along that offers genuine enhancement, I will stay that way.  The fact that RAF96 says that it can affect running with Select (that I use as a Walkabout - even more recently with our Grandchildren) makes me pleased I didn't upgrade my Elite.

I thought we had gotten to the bottom of that John.

Recovering the Select didn't fettle the Elite screen but that wasnt a problem as it didnt affect the running and you could recover the Elite screen when next you wandered over there.

Rob

I too am a walking checklist John, as short term memory transfer to the long term area is dodgy at best. Very frustrating, when you know you just have to do something but cant remember what it is. That is why I cant pick up learning Greek, despite a couple of years at night classes. I understand all the grammar, etc but cant get the vocabulary necessary to hold a conversation to lodge in the memory banks, but I can still hold a half decent conversation in French despite not having used it for around 15 years.

sorry we seem to have wandered off topic whatever it was.

... My only gripe, is when there is a short ...

I don't seem to suffer from that problem but my only wish is that it would accept the full range of id numbers (up to 99 would be fine for me - well 70 actually!) because I use the Class Number of the Loco for my id's, so I cannot use it for my 66 or 70.

RAF, if we had, i had forgotten.Dont forget i am very ancient. Who are you, whats a select. What did Heather just ask me to do.  I have made a note on the Train Room wall. Will save me a lot of walking. Thanks. john

I'm amazed John, you aren't allowed to put holes in ping pong tables, but you can write on walls?

Archived