Adding Hornby Signal Lights to Hornby Points

Ralphy5

After the reading of many and various posts on this subject I have found myself a little confused in trying to set these up. So I have found a very easy solution for these two accessories to work together with very little effort.

However it is not a cheap option as you need to purchase two R8247 accessory decoders for each set of 4 points and light groups. (Dedicate one accessory decoder for the points and one for the lights. This will enable you to control 4 signals with 4 lights associated to those points).

Wiring

R8243 (Points motor) to  R8247 (Accessory Decoder Number 1)

Red Wire     to   +    (positive)

Black Wire   to   C   (Common)

Green Wire  to   -    ( Negative)

Start at 1 and work your way in order through to 4 ( ie if you have 4 points) Write these positions down on a sheet of paper so you know which points are where on your layout.

R406 (Light Signal) to    R8247 (Accessory Decoder Number 2)

Red Wire     to   +    (positive)

Green Wire  to   -    ( Negative)

Start at 1 and work your way in order through to 4 ( ie if you have 4 lights) Write these positions down on a sheet of paper so you know which lights are with which point numbers on your layout.

Now you need build these on your layout in Rail Master and program them.

There are a number of post’s and U Tube videos showing you how to do this, so I won’t go into that here.

Once you have programmed your points all that is left to do is to add your lights to the layout and program as well.

The programming is the same as for your points with a couple of exceptions.

1/ use the SAME ADDRESS AS PER YOUR POINTS DECODER SETTINGS

2/ Make sure you use the required light number mimicked to the designated point number.

3/ Make sure you check the continuous box when programming your lights.

Points and Signal Light configurations

After you have programmed the two decoders you can always open up their settings in RM  (Triangle box Icon) and change point direction at the start up position as also with the lights in clear or stop selection. If you still have these the wrong way around instead of changing the wires about, just change the Polarity by ticking that Reverse Polarity check box.

Make sure you save the layout settings each time before closing your changes to your plan. You can always go to that plan at any time by clicking on the Triangle box Icon and play around with the settings until you get the desired result. There is no need to reprogram the decoders as the changes are in the RM software.

If you have more than 4 points/light signals the same procedure applies just start the decoders programming aspect with 5 to 8 then 9 to 12 etc. Remember though, by using this method you need to purchase 2 Accessory decoders each time which means double the $$$

I know there are a hundred different variations and combinations of hardware and setups around. There are certainly a number of ways to skin a cat too? I have just tried to give a basic hassle free setup option in a simplistic manner.

Enjoy

R5

Just to Add I have tried as recommended in some of the posts that the wiring should be as below. This works as well. The main thing is you are consistent in all your wiring, other than that I don’t think it matters.

However I am sure someone out there can explain why it should or should not be.

All I know both seem to work.

Alternate Wiring

R8243 (Points motor) to  R8247 (Accessory Decoder Number 1)

Red Wire     to    -    (Negative)

Green Wire  to   +    (positive)

R406 (Light Signal) to    R8247 (Accessory Decoder Number 2)

Red Wire     to    -    (Negative)

Green Wire  to   +    (positive)

R5

No need for two decoders.. Use a twin coil latching relay. This connects across the outouts and return to the point motor.  Via the relays contact feed the signal aspects.  

Latching relays cost around £2 each but if you want one ready to use then Gaugemaster sell one GM500D for around £5.75   http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM500D&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GM500D  (Often cheaper from GM suppliers like Hattons!)

That diagram on the GM site does state colours are for clarity only and that the installer should refer to the manufacturers instructions for wiring. As it happens, the wiring colours they have used for the solenoid point motor do match Hornby's colours (probably just a coincidence) but do not match Peco's default colours.

GM have shown -+- on the Accessory Decoder for a reason. Hornby may use +C- on the R8247 as their terminal labeling scheme, but the Hornby C is a common positive return (thus GM have given the Hornby C terminal the + label, this is electrically correct). The Hornby - and + are BOTH switched negatives and NOT a negative and a positive (thus GM have given the Hornby - & + terminals the  - & - labels on their diagram, again this is electrically correct). In essence, the GM  -+- is more electrically correct than Hornby's R8247 terminal labeling as this -+- label annotation more accurately describes the terminal electrical conditions. In the Hornby world, the Red usually goes on the + terminal, Green on the - terminal & Black on the C terminal.

/media/tinymce_upload/fe24f84d1c4558240c24757a700c0a29.jpg

Archived