Railmaster text missing on boxes

Hello I've been using DCC for some years now but only went over to Railmaster and an e-link in April.

It's been running ok in a temproary position, but I've just rearranged my layout to incorporate a space for the laptop, leads etc. When I turned the laptop back on and started railmaster it came on, I can see all my loco's and it works but there is text missing from a lot of the prompt pop up boxes.

For instance there was one that said something like "please wait while we check for updates" with a status bar at the bottom. The box is just the reddy pink colour with the status bar.

The pop up that appears if there's a short has all the text on it.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I'm happy to uninstall and reinstall if that's what's needed, as long as I'm able to do this without affecting licence etc.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! Yours Mike

No harm in trying a refresh of the program. Download rm_setup.exe from the link at the top of the forum RailMaster section. Right click the downloaded file and choose 'Run as Administrator'. There is no need to uninstall the current installed version first. Just overwriting to original application will keep all your personal configurations, locos and track plan etc.

Wellcome to the Forum Michael.  I too have had a problem with RailMaster cutting text out of some of my Text boxes.  I have reported this to Hornby RailMaster Support (HMRS) and they have advised me they are looking into it, although that was a few months ago and it has gone very quiet.

I personally would not waste my time re-installing because I don't hink it will make any difference at all.

Personally, I have never seen any problems with screen rendering on my copy of RailMaster. I would think that something like this would be an issue with a Windows graphic card/chip driver adversely interacting with RM screen writing calls within the RM application code. Thus very difficult for HRMS to track down as the issue may only show up on a very limited number of PC devices with certain graphic chips.

An explanation for why the issue has only recently surfaced on a previously working installation. Could be related to 'Windows Updates' where a graphic chip driver has been updated. Look through your 'Windows Update' history to see if anything related to graphics stands out.

Assuming your program is not badly corrupted there are generally only two reasons why text would not display or be ommitted completely on message dialog boxes.

1. Your screen's magnification is set to a value other than 100%.  In this case, however, when starting RailMaster a warning message would appear to tell you this.  You can check in your Windows display settings to be sure.  It should be 100% for optimal operation.

2. This is very rare, however the file which stores all messages in various languages may have become subtlycorrupted.  This is easy to overcome just by reinstalling the program.  There is no need to deactive or uninstall the program.  Just download the setup file from www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe and install over your existing installation.

My RM PC is an upgrade from W8.1 to W10, but I still do not see this issue. If my graphics driver theory has any validity in it, it is probably more an issue of the graphic chip set & driver used, rather than the Windows OS version.

You could check out the graphics manufacturers website or the website of your PC manufacturer (if a laptop) and see if any later version graphic driver software is available. Many graphic drivers include a graphics software utility to check driver versions and offer updates. Try right clicking a blank area of screen and see if any utility options can be found in the screen setup popup. Failing that, look into the depths of the Windows Start Menu, you can sometimes find a graphics utility listed there instead. Look for any Start Menu folders with the same name as your graphic manufacturer. Another location for Graphics utilities, is in Windows Action Centre (accessed via the 'Task Bar' - see screen shot below for an example of my own utility on my W7 Desktop PC).

/media/tinymce_upload/4e4a4f4a99bfe6b9dde1a170cc9fa583.jpg

EDIT: HRMS posted whilst I was writing this reply. Have left my reply intact just for additional information. Nice to see that HRMS have not disappeared completely.

Thank you for the status update.

I personally would not waste my time re-installing because I don't think it will make any difference at all.

Would appear it did on this occasion. It never does any harm to try a refresh......

Archived