Difficulty installing fish plates

Porkster

Image missing from previous post. Just using an old scrap piece of flexi for the photo, so ignore the poorly cut rail ends.

/media/tinymce_upload/45575b445618de3a6d47a8a1a3f777e8.JPG

Thanks for the details on removing the chair, that looks a lot easier than using the craft knife, and safer. Cheers

House full of champagne corks and you can't find them Poliss?  You have to be very careful, there's a tipping point just like climate change.  It's ok to temporarily lose one cork or a couple but if you can't find lots then the amount of chapagne in your system means you'll lose the ability to even look for them!

Imagine the cork problem they'd have poliss.  The guy filling the rocket fuel tank from the crates of champagne would soon run out of room in his pockets to store the corks, even if he caught them on removal, and they'll be littered all over the launch site!!!!

CS, do they make a third for 45 degree cuts?

I think I may have mixed up which cutter is used for what 😉

45 deg. Fishy? For cutting track at the start of a steep incline? 😛

2175M Vertical Cutting Track Cutter

http://www.modeltrainsquick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/XUR-2175M.jpg Xuron Vertical Track Cutter XUR-2175M

A Xuron® Track Cutter specifically designed for vertical cutting of model railraod track. Perfect for rail that has been secured to the roadbed. Like our original Model 2175B Track Cutter, this tool has hand grips that are sized to provide optimum leverage and control. For use with model railroad track HO scale and smaller. Not recommended for cutting hard wire or nichrome wire.

2175B Track Cutter (with image on packet cutting track from top to bottom) recommended for HO, Z & N.

I had problems cutting track with the Xuron at first, but found that cutting vertically, using a set square to ensure *verticallity, soved the problem. Then I sanded the ends with one of those black sponge sanding blocks.

*verticallity = technical term for when you can't think of the correct word.

You can also make this handy little tool to ease the fitting of fishplates.

http://thecentralstation.myfreeforum.org/about2558.html&highlight=fishplate

When buying a Stanley knife type knife, always buy the genuine article. I have three others of a similar design and they're useless. 😛

Polis, Thanks for the advise, yes that tool does look interesting. I take it that half the fish plate goes on the tool which is then pushed on to the rail after cutting the chair. Looks good.cheers

I cut mine the way shown in the photo. I found that cutting the other way led to slight dips in the track. Not good for smooth running.

I have the other type of cutter, which is why I use a set square to ensure *verticallity.

*Plot to get the word used in the OED. 😆

Archived