Midi Control?

Hi All, thanks for having me.

I'm about to have my 2nd go at returning to railway modelling in 3 years... In 2014 I built an L shaped board with room for extra yard at later date. As a teen, the last time I built a layout in 1981, the track being "off scale" really niggled me but EM or P4 was out of bounds despite my 3 part time jobs (Papers, Charity Leaflets, Bingo Hall) and by 15 I sadly moved on. So last time I bought lots of pre used EM track and rolling stock and taught myself how to convert wagons etc. I got given some Zero 1 bits and bought the H&M compatible controller cheap, I planned to upgrade to ZTC as soon as I could. Then I hit a stumbling block. Points where  rare, and or expensive or kits which as a relative newbie really put me off. So I moved onto 4mm white metal, resin and scratch buiilt Lorry, Fairground and bus moddelling then Military WW2 Western desert subjects. I sold the whole EM lot apart from scenic items to Rails...  Anyway its 2016 and  after some research I'm happy modern OO track is much less clumsy than in 1981. I have calculated that some complicated running wont cost me any internal organs and I have a decent stash of vehicles buildings and some scenic skills.

I looked at the various DCC options and Railmaster with E-Link looks right up my street. I'm quite computer savvy, I've been building them for 10 years. I was also a DJ for 15 years using software as well as vinyl and CD in my last 10 years.

You can of course use a mouse for DJ software but by far the best approach is a "Midi Controller" The Controller looks like a DJs CD player or even record deck but it actualy controls, or manipulates the digital file of music while being (usually) unable to play music as a standalone item.

. From the basics Stop, Pause, Start to a whole world of effects, tricks and wierd s**t.  The Midi Controllers job is to send signals to the software, or recieve them in certain cases. 

Any hoo it occurs to me that a Railway Master Midi Controller is a bloomin good idea. does it exist already?

It could not only be used for Hornbys software but the beauty of Midi is that it can control ANY software which is midi capable. Therefore the controller could also be used for the various Train Simulator games.  Its dawned on me that it would be far easier to make a midi controller that looked "right" for diesel or electric than one for steam... 

The other option I'm "head tinkering" with is using a touchscreen PC. I have 22inch screen Dell "all in one" model sat on the railway layout boards waiting for me to repair/restore. With a wall mount that could feel very hands on.

Anyway this time I'm building the layout. A quirk I have noticed is that 2nd user EM rolling stock was a lot cheaper than 2nd user OO, meaning now I have lots of track and little stock whereas before the opposite was true. This way is surely more practical!!! 

As I'm new here I wanted to gauge (calm down at the back) peoples/Hornbys thoughts on a purely midi controller. Is the software set up for midi?

As someone who's hobbies include MIDI generated/recorded music as well as DCC Railways, I can confirm with some authority there is NO MIDI support in RailMaster.

Archived