Which decoder?

Beeswax

Hello everyone

I am a novice and have just purchased R3302 (Dunkirk) which is fantastic.

Could someone advise as to which controller would be best suited as I intend to expand my collection.

Also what sound decoder can I use to go with this train.

Thanks 

As it is, this set is NOT DCC, so you need to think about getting a suitable decode, and an DCC controller.

One advert recommends this - Hattons - DCR-8PIN-HarnessMini - 8-pin (harness) 2-function 1.1Amp small & thin decoder with back EMF

or ESU - 54-800 - Loksound V4 6-pin sound decoder (ex 54800)

You need to do some more research before you spend any money!

To answer your DCC controller question, Hornby has 3.  Most basic is Select.  It will run all of your trains ok but only guaranteed to work with Hornby decoders (it isn't fully NMRA DCC standard compliant) so you would need to check with your model shop if it will work with the sound decoder you want.

Next is Elite, fully functional DCC controller who many here will recommend (I have one myself).  It will also work with Railmaster (RM) software on your PC/laptop.  It is the most expensive option.

Finally there is eLink with RM.  This has no knobs and only works from your computer screen.  It is also fully DCC functional and cheaper than Elite.  It can be difficult to set up, but lots of help here in the RM forum about that.  Many here have started this way but some then bYu an Elite later.

This being an RM forum, we can only talk about Hornby brand products, there are many other controller brands though.

Archived