Correct USB cable for upgrading Elite

Jimbo1707820979

Hello All.

I am about to try upgrading the software on my Elite to V.1.42  (with trepidation bordering on terror ) and want to be sure of the right cable. I have an ex-printer USB 2 cable with the right connections but seem to remember reading posts about a member having trouble because of the wrong cable (flat instead of round ?) but cannot find the posts. I am sure Chrissaf or RAF 96 can help on this so would you please advise me. Mark from Hornby has already sent me a link to the upgrading process so I am ready to go, using a Win7 64 bit PC.

I was cowardly putting off upgrading from V. 1.3 but one of my locos with a TCS decoder refuses to run on my layout but ran nicely at my dealer's so I am now with a pistol at my head.

So do you think the printer cable will do the job ? Also any other advice very welcome.

The 'flat vs round' cable debate related to the correct form of R8266 cable used to connect a Select controller as a 'Walkabout'. It had nothing to do with USB. Rest assured, as long as your USB cable has the right physical connections it will be suitable. Just make sure you use a USB2.0 port on your PC / Laptop.

And as RAF has testified, if you download the very latest Elite updater, the update of your Elite to 1.42 should go smoothly. Also see clickable links below.

Latest updater download.

Background and info to performing the update.

Further info.

You would have had no trouble doing the update the old way with a Win7 pc Jimbo, but with the new installer it is almost foolproof ( no insult to you intended), as even I can do it.

Try it on pc type 2. If it gets done in less than two minutes its usually going to fail so then retry on a lower setting. Five minutes is about average.

At worst it will take forever to do it which means you could have used a higher setting. By forever I have seen it take an hour or more, but it does get there in the end.

I'm sure you will report back with your setting and how long it took for the benefit of others.

Rob

Archived