Cobalt ip digital polarity

peter _murray

I am using an elink control system an Hornby insult frog points. I wish to use the cobalt ip digital to isolate a rail so that trains cannot run the points. I have done this with a cobalt before using the built in switches. Can I use the "frog" outlet (3)  from the ip digital to do the same thing. All the information I can find only talks about it being used for frog polarity. If I can how do I determine the polarity of what is delivered from this terminal. I.e. A or B as per the terminals on the track terminals of the  elink. I do not wish to use the onboard switch as I want that for changing signal lights.

AFAIK you cannot do as you're thinking.

T3 swaps polarity and even if both rails (one isolated and live) are at the same polarity a short would occur as soon a s a metal wheel bridged the out of phase isolation.

Only way it to completely remove the power from the isolated rail making a totally dead rail section.. Do this use a relay  driven form the actual contacts of the Cobalt and use one set of the relays contacts for signalling and the other for the rail isolation/feed

FB is correct regarding terminal 3 on the IP Digital. In essence terminals 1, 2 & 3 are the three terminals of a single pole change-over relay contact, but as terminals 1 & 2 are also the power input, whether that be DC or DCC then the output on terminal 3 will be either one input condition or the other. You can't separate terminals 1 & 2 from the power connection for use as a general purpose relay contact. Parallel a slave relay to the separate IP Digital c/o contacts if you need more contact functions.

Archived