Problem with Brighton Belle

roythegrass

My Hornby R3184 Brighton Belle 1960 DCC  has been increasingly problematic – juddering, stopping on points and generally running erratically. All other locos run fine. This morning I looked underneath and found what is best described as brown magnetised iron filings. These were brushed off and the train sent around the track a few times and checked again only to find more build-up underneath – see photo.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks.

Roy   /media/tinymce_upload/9fb942bfb29c415bb55005eeb8bf4c07.JPG

No filings coming from the track which was ballasted about a month back and is clean. Track is new –nickel silver and no track has been cut or filed in-situ.  I’ll try looking inside the train but dismantling is a tad above my skill level so may have to take into my nearest Hornby service dealer.

That looks like rust. Rust that has seen wet conditions. how and why is to be investigated obviously.

I would repeat the exercise bit by bit round the track to see if it happens only in one area or is widespread.

To do the bit by bit thing just run back and forth over a set track length and see if the filings appear, else move on.

If it is local,then its the track, if its broadcast then its the loco.

The other thing I would try is if testing indicates the loco then split the train and run power car only, then plus one, plus two, etc.

@roythegrass........just had a look inside the Belle power car, there is no ferrous metal anywhere in the loco other than the motor magnet and if that was shedding rust it would stick on the magnet not drop on the track to be collected later.........as WTD suggests you need to manually run a magnet round your track inch by inch (or cm).......to get the body off run a thumbnail or piece of credit card along the join to chassis to release the single clip in the centre each side and ease off by the buffers.........HB

Archived